We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Rome ?

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
409 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Rome ?

What's the best way to get to positano? Take the train to Naples or Salerno? We will be getting a driver from either of these places..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Rome ?

I can't speak to the relative difference of the "driven" part of your plan, but Salerno is almost an hour longer on the train, and I would think the drives would be roughly the same so if nothing else the trip via Salerno would take somewhat longer in time. I'm sure others will chime in with other observations.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Rome ?

If you are taking a car service, I'd recommend Naples - it's just a quick 70 minutes from Rome and then the drive, which becomes really lovely after about 1/2 hour (getting out of Naples and heading to the coast) - is about 1.5 hours (depending on traffic) to Positano and it is a gorgeous drive. Not that coming in from Salerno isn't lovely but for a first look of the Amalfi Coast, the driving from the direction of Naples is somewhat more stunning because you are on the right side of the road, looking straight at the sea, etc to your right.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
867 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Rome ?

Second on Naples......is your driver meeting you at the platform? ours did. That particular part of Naples did not impress me.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
409 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Rome ?

Thanks for the advice. We are booked to Naples and are using guemar tours to pick us up!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Rome ?

Just curious if you know a car service handles flight delays? Are they flexible if you run into trouble?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,755 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Rome ?

Last time I used Guemar, my flight landed early in Rome (about one hour) so I called (really really early in the a.m.) and asked if they could possibly pick me up if I took an earlier train than the one I had planned to take and they were able to accommodate me. (You will really like their service! - I love family owned businesses - well, I do if run well and these folks are great).

Usually if there is a flight delay, you will know before you board your plane so you can text, call or email them (depending on whatever your gadget is) to alert them to the delay. I've done that in other places.

I'm not sure whether they monitor flight arrivals - you can ask whichever service you contact how they handle it.

7. Re: Best way from Rome ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2014