We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveller

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo Traveller

I am travelling to Positano in late May this year and was wanting some hints on where to stay for solo travellers. I'm interested to see if is simply for couples or are the hotels etc cater for solo travellers?

Liz

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveller

Hotels don't care if you are in a couple or solo - they are fine with solo travelers; I have gone many times on my own. Personally, I always get a double room (usually sold as double room for single person so it is usually less expensive (not by a whole lot) than a couple would pay for the same room) as I can't stay in single rooms - they feel like a jail cell to me - and, I've never had any issue whatsoever by being on my own.

You are late in booking though so check www.venere.com to see what is still available - you can sort there by budget and type of room wanted, etc

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveller

Hi, Liz,

I also travel quite a lot alone and spontenosuly, often enjoying very last minute travel. I think Positano is beautiful, chic in some ways, and cheap-tourist-tchatchka-like in others. However, I do feel that Positano may be more appreciated by and geared toward couples than other Italian destinations. It seems like a perfect romantic honeymoon spot if one can stay in the top couple of properties. I choose to base elsewhere, though the town is certainly pretty.

Edited: 2:16 pm, April 25, 2013
New York
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveller

I stayed in Positano alone last year at the end of May and will be doing so again this year at the end of May. I loved it and yes there are lots of couples, however there are also families and individual travelers as well. Last year I treated myself to Hotel Marincanto and this year I am staying at Residence Alcione.

If someone is going there with the intention of a big singles scene hoping to meet lots of guys or "hook up" (although the local guys did hit on me a couple times) then it might not be the place to go. If you are going there to eat great food, swim in the sea, hang out on a lounge chair, view some of the most spectacular scenery in the world, go on a boat to explore different villages, hike, meander in town, talk with locals, eat gelato, sip Italian wine, etc, etc... then it is a great place to go. It really doesn't matter if you are a couple or solo, or a family with 10 kids. It's beautiful there no matter what.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,400 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveller

Agree with MiriamLisa - there are heaps of couples but there are also heaps of families. Lots of couples tend to stay at honeymoon hotels like EdenRoc so if you're staying at a budget place you probably won't see too many of them.

Liz, - be aware that being a woman on your own means extra attention from Italian men, young and old. I am 'of a certain age' :) and on my first day in Naples I was sitting happily at a restaurant, watching the water and all the gorgeous people. A really attractive man approached me, shook my hand and left a piece of paper in my hand - with his phone number on it! Oh my gosh did I laugh. Expect that sort of attention - it may be unwelcome and if it is, just laugh it off. Personally, I was really flattered as that NEVER happens to me here in Australia :)

Edited: 9:23 pm, April 25, 2013
dublin
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveller

Hey! I am a 31 year old female solo traveller and went to Positano today and literally, fell in love with the place! I've based myself in Sorrento for the 8 days and it is a super base! I've been to Capri for the day and have also seen Amalfi, but so far for me, nowhere has quite compared to Positano for me! It's quite simply got the wow factor! Very like Santorini that way for me!! It's such a busy and beautiful place and I never once felt out of place for being on my own there!! I was only a little sad that I didn't book to stay a few nights there... It's truly magical!! So much so that I'm ditching my plan to go to the island of Ischia tomorrow and an going back to Positano (and Ravello) for the day!!! Go!! You'll absolutely love the place!!!!

New York
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveller

lindseystapleton1--Glad you're having a great time. Don't worry you will most certainly go again!

I used to stay in Sorrento on my own however I am a Positano & Capri convert! I leave next Friday 21 days in Italy. 5 nights will be spent in Positano and 3 nights will be spent in Capri. I'm so happy for you that you pushed yourself and went alone. I read you weren't really going for dinner. Nonsense!!! Go by yourself and have a delicious meal. You have nothing to worry about except for what you want to choose to eat and which restaurant to sit at. I never miss dinner and a stroll after!!

Edited: 6:23 pm, May 08, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,071 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Traveller

I agree - dinner out is wonderful and, honestly, no one cares that you are alone. Everyone is doing their own thing and aren't concerned whether someone is alone or not. I always feel a bit sad when someone misses out on some really nice evenings because of this concern. It just does not matter.

Of course, if it matters a lot to you and you just can't get comfortable with the idea, then don't go it. But, I say - give it a go a few times - you will soon find out, it doesn't matter and that no one is preoccupied in any way with you being solo.

If you go back to Positano - and just want a nice, good priced lunch in a beautiful spot on a huge terrace right on the sea - walk over to the smaller beach, Il Fornillo, it is about a ten minute easy stroll right by the water. It is terrific. If you don't see the signs - they will be near the side of the large beach with the dock - just ask about Il Fornillo and someone can point you to the gorgeous walkway. The restaurant is part of a very simple hotel, Pupetto. Even if you choose not to eat there - the walk over is really stunning.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Traveller

Hi...i just left Positano and stayed at the california hotel which is great...perfect location...i was a solo traveller and enjoyed my time there..easy to get around to all areas, ferries or bus are easy....

9. Re: Solo Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 11, 2014