We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano to Rome

toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Positano to Rome

Hi guys. My boyfriend and I are travelling to a bunch of cities in Italy this month. We will be in Positano on May 6th-May 10th. Our flight home is from Rome at 2:30 pm. I have contacted the owner of the hotel that we are staying at to recommend me a transportation route. I was told to take the SITA bus then the CIRCUMVESUVIANA and then a train to Rome. However, the SITA bus has its first stop only at 7:00 am from Amalfi. I'm worried that we won't make it to the airport on time. Any suggestions???? Thank you!

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano to Rome

the best suggestion is to take the last ferry from Positano to Salerno and then train Salerno to Rome the night before. Only then can you be sure you will be FCO at 11:30 a.m.

New York
Level Contributor
2,960 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano to Rome

Stay in Rome the night before. Too risky to miss your flight.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano to Rome

The best suggestion is to spend the night beforehand in Rome.

If not feasible, you could take a taxi to Amalfi, then the SITA bus direct to Naples at either 5:45 or 6:20 a.m. (bypassing Salerno), then a fast train to Rome, then the airport train to FCO from either Termini or Tiburtina stations.

NOTE: The direct SITA bus from Amalfi to Naples does NOT operate on Sundays.

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5020.pdf

www.trenitalia.it (Naples to Roma Termini Station)

www.italotreno.it (Naples to Roma Tiburtina Station)

Edited: 6:55 pm, April 04, 2013
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,343 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano to Rome

If you're desperate to stay that final night in Positano, you could always use one of the local driver services to drive you all the way to FCO. Expensive - yep! We paid 350 euros - it was an emergency and ordinarily I wouldn't do this - I'm not a millionaire - but if you can afford it and really want that extra night, then it's something to think about.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano to Rome

You could contain the cost by booking a private transfer from Positano to Napoli Centrale train station (110-130 Euros), then proceeding to FCO by fast train (via Roma Termini on Trenitalia or Roma Tiburtina on ITALO TRENO).

You could further contain the cost by taking a taxi from Positano to Amalfi (60 Euros???), then the direct SITA bus to Naples (daily except Sunday), then proceeding to FCO by fast train as above.

The most expensive solution is to book a private transfer from Positano to FCO (350-400 Euros)!!!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
366 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano to Rome

hi the only way you can hope to make it, is get a cab at 5.00am and go to salerno train station, to catch a fast train from salerno there is one at 6.12 am that gets int o rome at 8.12 (train FRECCIAROSSA 9512 (book early now it costs 19 euros but it can get upto 60 euros)

in rome termini catch the train leonardo express that takes you directly to fiumicino airport (there is one at 8.22 and one at 8.52 and it takes 30 minutes.

but i think that if something goes wrong you could have problems...so

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano to Rome

HI there,

I just read your original post and am wondering what route of transportation you took.

We will be making that same trip in last September and were trying to figure out the

best route from Positano to Rome.

Please respond and thank you.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano to Rome

Best route from Positano to Rome:

ASSUMING that you don't have the need to ARRIVE into Rome on or before 3 p.m.:

1. Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat from Positano to SALERNO (April through October only)

2. Walk 800 meters to train station

3. Trenitalia fast train direct (no connections) to Roma Termini

www.coopsantandrea.it

www.trenitalia.it

NOTE: The answer above changes if you must arrive into Rome by 3 p.m., OR during the period from November 1 through March 31 (when the ferry boats don't operate), OR during bad sea conditions (when the ferry boats can be cancelled or delayed).

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Positano to Rome

Once we leave Positano (Sept 26th), our flight out of Rome will not leave until the following day.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Positano to Rome

Depart Positano 13:30 Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat: 12 Euros

Arrive Salerno 14:40

Walk to Salerno train station (10-15 minutes)

Trenitalia Frecciarossa train at 15:12: 29 Euros ECONOMY fare second class (advance purchase and non-refundable)

Arrive Roma Termini 17:10

NOTE: There is an earlier ferry at 12 noon, which allows time to have lunch in Salerno prior to boarding the train to Rome (and avoiding any possibility of missing the train due to weather conditions).

NOTE: The normal "BASE" fare, second class, of the Frecciarossa train to Rome is 46 Euros. The 29-Euros fare is an ECONOMY fare, requiring an advance purchase and is non-refundable.

www.coopsantandrea.it

www.trenitalia.it