We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Means of Transportation to Positano- Confused and need help

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Means of Transportation to Positano- Confused and need help

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I have been posting and reading other people's questions regarding travel to Amalfi Coast and I still can't make a decision on the best way to get from Rome to Amalfi Coast.

4 of us girls have 3 days, 2 nights to see Amalfi Coast. We will be staying at Hotel Poseidon for the trip. We want to see it all, meaning seeing Sorrento, Capri, seeing Pompeii, Positano, Ravello, and Amalfi, and we are still going back and forth on the best means of transportation for doing this.

Here are the options that I am getting from reading all these postings:

1. Train to Naples, then get a driver

2. Rent a car and drive yourself (but road is really harrowing experience) but is car a problem in the little towns?

3. Train to Naples, then bus to sorrento, then ferry to Positano

4. or train going to Salerno rather than Naples and taking that route.

Now you can all see, we are so confused, and we need someone to advise us on the BEST way to do and see it all in the short amount of time we have. I would also like to know average waiting time to catch these buses, trains, ferries,and distances between the towns. Do you think we can see all these towns in our 3 days? Recommendations? Priority list of towns worht seeing? Things to skip? We will be in Positano June 2-4, 2005. Can't wait. So please help us confused travelers!!!!!!!!! Much appreciated.

gb
UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Means of Transportation to Positano- Confused and need help

Not informed on best way to get to Naples, but going by your schedule once you get to Naples I would get a driver to take you to your hotel door, saving time & hassle.

I personally trhink your schedule is quite ambitious, but good luck if you can do it.

If it were me in 3 nights I would do Capri (1 whole day) & then Pompeii / Soerrento (1 whole day) whilst overnighting in Positano for both nights.

The buses from Positano are REALLY cheap to Sorrento & so are the trains from Sorrento to Pompeii. The buses I think are 20 mins apart & I honestly cant remember the waiting times for the Sorrento - Pompeii trains (no longer than a brief shoppimg tip in Sorrento I think).

Hotel Posiedon is a REALLY NICE hotel, you wont regret your stay there.