We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano. Car or No Car?

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Positano. Car or No Car?

Will be driving down from from Tuscany to Positano, where we will be for 4 days and then head off to Capri.

One option is to drive into Naples or Salerno (Positano has no Hertz or Sixt stations), drop the car off and be in Positano without a car. This would avoid any hassles associated with driving in the Amalfi region. But it will involve transferring from Naples to the hotel in Positano with kids and luggage.

The other is to keep the Car during the stay in Positano. The hotel in Positano offers a valet car park (for a fee). This will allow a daytrip(s) to Ravello or just a drive down the coast. Have driven in France, Switzerland and Spain (even the Riviera in summer), but never in Italy

Any thoughts?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

Hello Frank and Frank!

We (family of four) will be traveling to Italy for the first time the end of May. We will fly into Rome then we were thinking of the train to Naples and a car service from there to Positano. Can you tell me the approximate cost of the car service from Rome to Positano? That would make our first day much more relaxing:)

Also, any recommendations you have for lunch, dinner would be fantastic! We plan to hire a private boat to take us out to Capri for one day (maybe two), any other recommendations?

We will head to Florence, Venice and Rome after our time in Positano - for just over two weeks.

Thank you,

Jean

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

just a followup question.

is there a direct ferry from sorrento to positano. is there a website i can check the timetables at

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

Khanna - it depends on the time of year you will be traveling. If there is one from Sorrento to Pos, I think it would be operated by Alicost. www.coopsantandrea.com is the ferry company for the Salerno/Amalfi/Pos route.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

We had a car for a week in Praiano. Driving is definitely a challenge but I liked the freedom of going where I want when I wanted. We drove all over Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, Pompeii etc. Never had any issues with parking as there are plenty of lots. (for a fee) Family of 4 and the rental out of Rome for 9 days was $350 Euro in a beautiful Alfa Romeo Gulietta even with 120 Euro in gas was a very economical choice.

That being said the driving is difficult. Never had any real traffic jams except for 1 time for about 5 min in Positano. The roads are just super narrow and you have to be very comfortable driving very, very close to other cars, scooters and people. It is not for the faint of heart.

B.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

Well

You really do not need a car while in Positano.

But driving the Amalfi coast is not impossible.

The drive is worse from Positano to Ravello than from Naples or Salerno to Positano.

The bus or a car driver to Ravello is fine.

If you take the bus, you have to change buses in Amalfi to catch the bus to Ravello.

Weigh your options on cost of daily fee for hotel parking vs. car driver.

Bus is not bad to Ravello from Positano and very scenic.

You also can get a car driver from Naples or Salerno to Positano.

A van for you, kids and luggage.

We use Positano car service to get from Rome to Positano and back, and have done from Naples.

I would just weigh the cost of hotel car parking vs. car service.

We have also used the car service a few times from Positano to Ravello.

Also keep in mind if you take the car out of the hotel to drive to Ravello, depending on where you stay, sort of really narrow roads in Positano.

Maybe I helped.

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

Thanks

I'm favoring taxi from sorrento (where I drop my car off) to positano, which will be easier w the kids and luggage.

Day trip to Amalfi /Ravello using ferry /taxi

The rest of the time will be in positano

We go to Capri next and from there to Rome. Any idea of taxi transfer cost for the Capri-rome leg. I guess I could always email positano car service for quotes

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

A private car from to Rome will probably run 350 - 450 Euro.

B

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

The cheapest private transfer I could find from Positano to Rome last year was 300 euro. It might be cheaper for you since you would be transferring from Sorrento or Naples (where you would land off the ferry from Capri) but it will still be pricey.

new york
Level Contributor
88 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

Thanks all

Level Contributor
11 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Positano. Car or No Car?

A bit late to post for your benefit, but i would get the train from Naples to Sorrento then get the bus. The reason I say this is the parking in Positano is a nightmare. We tried to visit there a few weeks ago and for 3 miles in and 3 miles out along the Almafi coast road was chock o block with cars. I'm not joking. we drove in and past and turned around. If we knew it was going to that bad, we would have taken the bus from Sorrento, lot less hassle. that was the summer peak can't speak about other times.