We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming pool problem

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming pool problem

Hello, we will be staying in Positano for 5 nights in July having a pool is a most but I am having a problem finding a hotel in our price range £200 per night for 2 adults and a child. Do any hotels allow you to use there pool if you are not staying ? If you pay to use a private beach will you be packed in like sardines in July ?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming pool problem

Surprisingly, there are not as many hotels with pools as you might think - in small size of the village and its landscape really isn't conducive to many having them. I have no idea whether hotels with pools will let you pay (and, if they did, I imagine it might be pricey for a family of 4) to use their pool. You should contact some hotels with pools there and ask them if they do that.

The beaches, which are pretty small, will be pretty crowded but I have never heard of anyone say they couldn't get on the beach and go swimming in the sea. There are two beaches in Positano - the smaller one, which is about a 10 minute walk from the large main beach is called Il Fornillo and, while it too will get pretty crowded, the sun beds are cheaper to rent for the day there.

Mentioned in this post
Il Fornillo
Il Fornillo
1,091 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming pool problem

Any thoughts of staying in praiano instead ? Seem to get more for your money .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming pool problem

I've never stayed there because I like that Positano is a larger village which I personally prefer -

A lot of people love Praiano - you should look at the forum for that village; it will have a lot of information that may help you decide.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
uk
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming pool problem

If youre not worried about the size of the pool a standard room at Palazzo Murat might be an option - small but perfectly formed pool

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming pool problem

Booked a room at Le Fenice bed and breakfast has a pool and under budget so fingers crossed it will be ok .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming pool problem

If you haven't seen the reviews, here they are:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194863-d235…

Do they have air conditioning? And, I am assuming you know the pool will not be heated.

Views look lovely.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,538 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming pool problem

La Fenice looks nice, if you get a decent room, and if you don't mind not being IN Positano. I would not want to stay outside of Positano so that I had to take a taxi or bus into town. But if you plan on going to the B&B and you get a decent room and don't plan on leaving, or visiting other parts of the AC, then it looks lovely!

Mentioned in this post
La Fenice
La Fenice
403 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming pool problem

Checked twice room has Air con and who needs a heated pool in July with all them steps will need to jump in to cool off .

A little out of town but pool was very important to us and the difference in price was pretty big even if we use expensive taxis we will still save, not planning on doing alot from here a day trip to Ravello is about it as we will already have done most things from Sorrento and Capri it's more of a chill out befor we go home.

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,690 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming pool problem

Good about the AC - you will need and want it even with having a pool.

Taxis are stupidly expensive - you can end up paying 30-40 euros for a 10-15 minute ride (sometimes even more) - so it's good you likely won't be using them much.

At that time of year, the buses will be a nightmare so I would recommend that when going to Ravello, you take the ferry from Positano to Amalfi and then get the bus from there up to Ravello, which will take about 20 minutes.

The bus to Ravello originates in Amalfi so you should have a decent shot at a seat. Then, you could take the bus back - again it originates in Amalfi (going towards Sorrento); it will get packed - and before you leave, just check with your B&B hosts about which of the two Positano bus stops you should get off at when you reach Positano from Amalfi. I can't really tell from the map which would be the better choice - La Sponda, I think but not certain.

Mentioned in this post
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming pool problem

Do the ferries run often ? And is it worth getting a taxi from Amalfi to Ravello even though it will we expensive wouldn't it be worth it ?

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy