We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English speaking doctor or hospital?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
English speaking doctor or hospital?

I am headed to Positano tomorrow and feel miserable. Have gotten some medicine at the pharmacy in Naples but I fear it will take some antibiotics to cure me!

Any suggestions?

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

Weather forecast for Positano is for 3 solid days of rain with thunderstorms. Stay in Naples. Don't go hauling suitcases upstairs in wet weather. Go to the emergency room if you feel worse or need antibiotics. Positano in the rain is not worth it.

Edited: 1:47 pm, October 26, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

Well, the OP may have booked a hotel that she can't cancel without losing money - but, if not, then do stay put given the weather forecast.

I would try to go to a doctor in Naples before heading to Positano, if you do go there. Your hotel should be able to point you to someone.

You should post this question on the Naples forum so perhaps someone can offer you some suggestions.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

I don't think the money is worth it. Please take care of your health first. I speak from experience. I once kept traveling when I should have stayed put, and ended up in an Italian hospital for 16 days, You don't need to get to Positano in the rain tomorrow. You shouldn't be walking up lots of stairs in stormy weather if you are sick. These things happen. It is not worth a losing a hotel cost to risk your health.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

I am assuming the OP is an adult who will know that if she is too ill to travel that she will know not to do so. She's the one saying she's headed there tomorrow; I looked at another post of hers and it seems they may have rented a car.

Perhaps if she has seen a doctor and feels better and confident of travel, she won't be staying where she needs to climb stairs after they park the car - if they did rent it. Where I stay in Positano, I walk right in off the road with no climbing so it is possible.

In any event, hopefully she has found the medical help she needs and will soon be on the mend and the rest of her trip is not ruined.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

A pharmacist can give you antibiotics in Italy. Our daughter got some at the pharmacy in St Agata due Golfe (between Sorrento and Positano) there or four years ago. You might try again and see if they will give you antibiotics (although they may of course also suggest you see a doctor or may think it's a virus that won't be helped by antibiotics).

Many Italian professionals like that speak good English. I think it's quite likely a pharmacist in Positano would be they are so swamped with Anglophone visitors.

Rain and cloud can be very beautiful. Don't miss Positano because of that.

I hope you feel better soon.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

Embassies and consulates often have lists of English-speaking doctors. You should contact your country's embassy or consulate.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

Traveling to Positano on winding roads if you are not feeling well isn't going to make you feel better. Rain is not going to improve the ride. The weather forecasts are so unfavorable, I wouldn't go even I was feeling healthy. Positano is hardly THAT important.

Positano is a fairly remote place without a hospital as far as I know.

Encouraging somebody who is asking about hospitals and doctors to put a hotel bill or a view ahead of their health doesn't seem right to me at all. Believe me, I know It is hard to give up a planned trip, especially if you are traveling with other people and feel you will disappoint them. I won't feel badly if she follows the advice to stay in Naples until she feels better and it turns out is wasn't really necessary. I'd feel terrible if I told her to go and she ended up sicker.

Edited: 6:02 pm, October 26, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

No one is saying to put the hotel bill first. Again, why not consider that she is capable of deciding this for herself.

Since it is already very late at night in Italy, she has likely either taken care of getting medical help/advice and/or made arrangements to do so.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

You may get antibiotics at a pharmacy (As Texastrips says). Speak with the pharmacist about your symptoms and they can make recommendations. Mine does so all the time. However if it is a cold or the flu, those are caused by viruses and won't be helped by antibiotics. Rest and fluids obviously. Rain (and stairs) is not going to make one sick or sicker. True, one can lower their immune system by being in sustained cold (and thus get sick or sicker) but if getting wet made us sick, we would never go swimming or take showers.

10. Re: English speaking doctor or hospital?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, October 27, 2012
Edited: 9:35 am, October 27, 2012