We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Path of the gods: where to start?

San Jose del...
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Path of the gods: where to start?

I have been reading a lot of information about the Path of the Gods and know that the best starting point is the district of Bomerano back to Nocelle/Positano, but I still don't know how to get there. I will be staying in Positano and would like to know how to get to Bomerano: should I take a bus along the coastal road and then walk up? Or is there any more direct bus to Agerola/Bomerano? Can you tell me exactly the bus number, price and where to take it and get off?

Thank you

Ricardo

Mentioned in this post
Nocelle
Nocelle
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Agerola
Agerola
Province of Naples, Italy
105 replies to this topic
San Jose del...
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

So many replies since I posted the question and just today I receive a notification!!! (Tripadvisor check your systems!). Well, let me tell you what happened: I did the hike on Oct 2012, I was staying in Amalfi and had planned to start early in the morning from Bomerano and get to Positano past the noon so I could have lunch, take a stroll there and get back to Amalfi in the afternoon. There is a bus leaving from Amalfi going directly to Bomerano, it's always full of people going to the path so the driver will surely let you know where to get off. From there it's only a couple of blocks to the square where the path starts, just follow the signs. As some of you said, it is really dificult to discover where the bus stops in Amalfi since they all come to the same spot, park anywhere they can and leave again... so pay attention, sometimes they don't even have a good sign to let you know their destination. The problem was that exactly that day bus drivers were on strike, so the piazza of Amalfi was a caos of buses, cars, italian drivers angry with each other and nobody could say a decent word about when the strike was going to stop. So I stayed for hours going from one point to the other, running after every bus to check it was the one, trying to speak in italian with the drivers that didn't bark at me, and so on until it was about 1 pm and suddenly one of the drivers appeared, got on the bus next to me, put on the sign AGEROLA, started the engine and cried "Let's go!". From Bomerano I tried to follow the map from http://www.giovis.com/maps/deiA4o.pdf but I am sure I did something wrong because I didn't find the things (grottos, water) marked on the map. Well anyway, you will always find a path so just follow it. The path ends at Nocelle, faaaaaaar from Positano and here let me give you some advice: don't walk the long stair down to Positano. The stair seems endless and the steps have a size not too small and not too big that make it very tiresome to walk down, and even worse they don't end at Positano but at some neighbourhood still far from the "centre". Better take a bus. When I finally got to Positano I was told that buses were STILL on strike, so my only way to go back to Amalfi was the ferry... the last of which left at 6 pm and it was 5.56 pm when the lady at the tourist office let me know. I am sure I never ran so fast in my entire life, to try to catch the last ferry of the day. The ferry was just leaving when I reached the coast, but miraculously... another one from Amalfi was delayed and arrived shortly after. I bought the ticket, got on, sit on the deck and as the ship was slowly following the coast in the beautiful sunset I thought: WOOOOOOOW... everything that happened today was worth it!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Agerola
Agerola
Nocelle
Nocelle
Positano, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

What a great day for you! My hiking day along that path is one I'd like to relive. Perfect weather, early start, so peaceful.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

what a great day you had! :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

I forgot to write that we started from Positano and we took a bus to Amalfi, then in Amalfi we took another bus to Bomerano. With Lucy was not so difficult, she also said the bus from Positano is generally late and sometimes you miss the other bus to Bomerano, but that day didn't happen. I think buses work very bad. I tried also to go to Ravello the day after but it was crazy: even if there's a bus every half an hour the buses were always crowded, so I took a taxi with other 2 tourists who were waiting the bus near me. The taxi took 60 euros to bring us to Ravello. :(

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

60 is not bad! I paid 160 round trip. The driver waited for me though.

Lucy is wonderful.

Glasgow, Scotland...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

I am planning this walk in a couple of weeks and I can't seem to find out how regular the buses are from Nocello to Positano. Do you know of any timetables that are available?

Also, how long does the bus take? And the cost?

Thanks in advance for any help you could give! :)

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
San Jose del...
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

Hey Sheona,

you can buy the tickets for the bus at the small shops that sell cigarettes or newspapers or souvenirs, you must buy the ticket according to the distance in TIME. It is about 30-40 minutes from Amalfi to Bomerano, so you have to buy a 45 minutes ticket. If you are not sure, always tell the person at the shop where you want to go and they will sell you the right ticket. The cost was 2 or 3 euros I think.

Look for the bus with a sign AGEROLA (Bomerano is a district of Agerola). The schedule for this bus is here: sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5080.pdf Look for the bus with a sign AGEROLA (Bomerano is a district of Agerola). As I said, most people riding that bus go for the path of the gods so surely the italian driver will shout at the stop where you have to get off.

Enjoy your walk!

Edited: 9:42 am, August 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Agerola
Agerola
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

I also walked with Lucia and she was great. Very knowledgable and a really nice person.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,263 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

Hi Sheona,

The timetable link provided before is for Amalfi - Agerola route where people get down to start the hike.

I don't think you were looking for that.

As far as I know a local bus company Flavio Gioaia runs the small orange ( or is it Red?) bus from Nocelle back to Positano. Their website is difficult to navigate but their FB page have some timeline photos with Nocelle -Montepertuso route timetable .

The link to website is here :

www.flaviogioia.com/index.php…

FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php…

They have an English version. If that doesn't work click under Sevizo Pubblico Urbano to get the timetables and the route maps. Looks like one bus an hour

But if everything fails don't worry. I'm sure local tourist office or your hotel staff would be able to give you a time table.

Hope someone more knowledgeable would chip in.

Mentioned in this post
Agerola
Agerola
Nocelle
Nocelle
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Montepertuso
Montepertuso
Positano, Italy
Glasgow, Scotland...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Path of the gods: where to start?

Thank You very much for your responses rmalagueno and Supratik! It was the Nocelle- Positano Bus I was looking for info on (so thanks a lot for that link- it's perfect) but all your information has been helpful and is appreciated!

Thanks again! :)

Mentioned in this post
Nocelle
Nocelle
Positano, Italy
Reply to: Path of the gods: where to start?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted