We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from positano

spotsylvania.va.
3 posts
Save Topic
day trips from positano

we'll be going to positano in a few weeks and could use some info. on the best and least expensive way to get around. aslo, if anyone knows things we sould do in each town please share.

so far:

naples airport to positano with driver(190 E. both ways-4 people)tourofitaly.com.

sorrento for the day-use metro del mare jet or ferry?

capri-ferry or private boat?

pompeii-bus to sorrento then train to pompeii

amalfi and ravello-use ferry (25 mins.?) or bus(2 hrs.?) to amalfi. then catch bus to ravello,spend morning and spend afternoon in amalfi. is this too much for one day? should we break it up and go to each town seperately?

vietri sul mare and praiano- heard vietri has great prices on ceramics. use bus?

free day

Zia Lucy
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cooking Classes, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Mandara Car Services
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,484 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from positano

Probably a bit late but to get around the area its much better to stay in Sorrento, the travel links from there are much better,

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from positano

I agree with Sophie that using Sorrento as your home "base" makes more sense due to their being the transporatation hub. That said, I cannot comment on the ferries as they were not running when we were in Positano. But, I will answer your questions-

1) naples airport to positano with driver(190 E. both ways-4 people)tourofitaly.com.- Perfect. I did that and it was the best $ I spent

2) sorrento for the day- I LOVED Sorrento. Take the SITA bus from Positano. About 45 minutes and $1.30 (tickets at the tobacco shop at the main Positano bus stop)

3) capri-ferry or private boat?- the hydrofoil was VERY bumpy when I went. The ferry was like a small cruise ship

4) pompeii-bus to sorrento then train to pompeii- you got it. expect to spend a whole day there. and bring comfy shoes!

5) amalfi and ravello- can absolutely be done in a day. SITA bus to Amalfi then local bus to Ravello. Spend the bulk of your day there. Awesome. Eat at Cuppa Cosimo. Then reverse trip to Amalfi. can be done in 1-2 hours. SITA bus back to Poistano.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Atlanta, Ga.
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from positano

This is so helpful. I was interested in what you said about Sorrento...my family of five is going in June. I am dealing with a travel agent who put us in Hotel Villa Franca in Positano. Earlier I made a reservation at Grand Hotel Ambasciatori in Sorrento. I am wondering if we should not stay there as our home base. I have three, single adult daughters in their twenties who might like the hotel as well as the location better.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,484 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from positano

The Ambascatori is a very nice hotel so much more to do in Sorrento and so much easier to get about the area, sure your young ladies would prefer

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
spotsylvania.va.
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from positano

what is there that we shouldn't miss seeing in sorrento (and other towns)?

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from positano

what is there that we shouldn't miss seeing in sorrento (and other towns)?- I hadn't done much research on Sorrento before we left so I may have missed a lot but basically we got off the train and walked down the hill and made a left. 1/2 mile down is the main "center" of town with lots of shopping/restaurants/bars. We then grabbed a map and made a right to the harbor. There was a sculputure garden there that was interesting plus a view of the harbor where you could see the boats. We then just wandered around and found interesting things at every turn. Good town to get lost in.

Positano- get off the SITA bus and either take the local bus to the bottom or walk it. About 2-3 miles. At the bottom continue down to the beach. There's a nice church there and plenty of cool (but expensive) bars/restaurants to check out.

Amalfi- The town square is a bit up the hill from where the bus lets you off. Amazing church in the square and again, good shopping

Ravello- Harder to get to (take the local bus from Amalfi) but breathtaking hilltop city. Gorgeous views from the Villa Rufolo. Great old church in the square. Eat at Cuppa Cosimo

Capri- Take hydrofoil/ferry from Sorrento. Check out Gardens of Augustus with a view of Faraglioni and Via Krupp. Blue Grotto if open (wasn't when we were there) According to the women, best shopping.

I'm sure there's TONS I'm missing but that should get you started. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy