We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedges or heels?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Wedges or heels?

From what I have gathered of the landscape in Positano it doesn't lend itself well to heels or wedges. Being a short gal and a huge fan of high shoes, I wanted to double check. Is it okay to wear dressy flats to dinner and such? I would not want to be walking around looking too casual or looking ridiculous in a pair of wedges when everyone else is wearing flats. Thanks for your help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,757 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedges or heels?

First, no one is going to care what you are wearing.

Second, wear what is most comfortable for you. If you want to wear "dressy" flats, do so but the village is pretty casual - it is a beach/seaside village. People do dress nicely (thought not dressy really) for dinner in the evenings - others are more casual.

Wearing comfortable shoes for the rest of the time is going to make your trip much more enjoyable; you will be miserable if you wear shoes that are not conducive for all the steps and walking.

You will need something for your feet on the beaches as they are not sandy but pebbly.

North Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
179 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedges or heels?

I wear wedges at night. I always bring my most comfortable pair because we always end up walking. Many wear flats. I never bring stiletto heels because they would be too problematic on the rough roads.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedges or heels?

Thanks! That helps

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedges or heels?

I always go for wedges because a heel could get stuck in a crack in the road and make you fall.

New York
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedges or heels?

I was just there in June and although I brought a pair of wedges for "just in case" I never wore them once. I only wore the flats.

There is just too many steps and cobblestones to navigate. Btw...my wedges were a "comfort" type brand and I still didn't wear them.

Do make sure that your dressy flats are also comfortable to walk in because if not it will defeat the purpose. There is a lot of walking in Positano, mostly vertical.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedges or heels?

I'm from Positano and I always wear flats or low heels.

But if you want to go dancing at the Music Club late at night bring a pair of high stilettos in your bag and hide your flats somewhere on the beach till you get out. All the girls do it or come home barefoot and shoes in hand as there are no late buses!

east brunswick, nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedges or heels?

I'm in Positano now, did not bring dressy flats and am sorry I didn't. Wearing very comfortable wedges every night but still lots of walking up and down hills and steps and uneven pavement. If I did it again, I would only bring dressy flats.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
55 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedges or heels?

Thank you everyone! I'm trying to minimize my packing:-)

9. Re: Wedges or heels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 10, 2013