We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano with a young baby?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Positano with a young baby?

We are thinking about a holiday to Positano (possibly with a couple of days in Rome earlier) in September. Our baby will be 3 months old. Would Positano be suitable and do you have any recommendations for a hotel? Any other advice would be great, thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano with a young baby?

Hi

You could look at Casa Maresa a lovely b&b/apartments with not many stairs ad studios with and without kitchens which might suit with the baby. Rooms are large enough. Very homely and clean and run by a very caring englishman Paul and his wife. Very reasonable rates. This is wherewe will stay again this year.

Janderra

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano with a young baby?

You don't mention a budget which would help people offer more useful, relevant suggestions for you.

It is a vertical village; using a stroller will be difficult in many parts of the village - so I suggest being prepared to carry baby in most areas. There are some parts - along Viale Pasitea, which is the one and only internal road where you could use a stroller, but that too is all about going up or doing down.

If you don't need hotel services (room service, 24 hour concierge, restaurant on site, etc), you might check to see if the Alcione Residence would work for you. Their rooms are large, comfortable with large terraces and beautiful views in a very good location. They do bring your breakfast to you (whatever you order on their card) at your desired hour in the morning so you can eat on your terrace or in your room.

I loved it and won't stay anywhere else now. I stayed for 7 days in October. I stayed on the first floor (which is Italy's second floor) and still had an incredible view from my terrace. There is no elevator but the steps inside the residence are not brutal and you enter the residence right off the street - so, no climbing to enter the building.

www.alcioneresidence.com/index_eng.html

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g194863-d193…

September is high season so don't know if you will find availability there - if you are talking about this coming September - check very (very) soon to see what might still be available here too: www.venere.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano with a young baby?

Realized the link to the reviews for Alcione for some reason started a few pages in - here's the link including the most recent reviews:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Italians love babies - so be prepared for lots of oohing and aahhhing....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano with a young baby?

Thanks for the quick replies. We dont have a specific budget set but would be looking for somewhere fairly nice, although not crazy prices. A pool would be fantastic.

Anyone experience taking the train from Rome with a little one? Thanks again

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,898 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano with a young baby?

Surprisingly to a lot of people, there really aren't that many hotels in Positano with a pool - thanks to its vertical nature.

I believe you can conduct a search via google for hotels with a pool there. And, this might start you off:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g194863-zfa3-Positano…

The fast train Rome to Naples is just 70 minutes; I've seen lots of children on that route and on the trains generally. It should be fine.

How are you getting from Naples to Positano? You may instead want to travel Rome to Salerno and pick up a ferry from there to Positano. The ferries should still be running and it will be a more comfortable way to travel to Positano vs from Naples which would include another train to Sorrento (one hour) and a bus from Sorrento to Positano (another 45 minutes or so).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano with a young baby?

thats really helpful. thanksmomcat

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano with a young baby?

As an Aussie who raised four kids in Positano, I would say that a young baby is not the best time to visit this village. I barely left the house in summer when they were young using paddling pools in the garden rather than carry kids up hot Fornillo stairs from the beach or fighting my way onto buses to get home. The buses are, if anything, worse now, so if you get a hotel, get one on the beach or walking distance from it. Avoid getting the bus from 5pm to 7.30pm as they are packed full and leaving families behind.

You will also want a hotel with a terrace for enjoying while baby is napping.

There are several hotels beach side or walking distance with pools in various budget levels. You can be sure they will go out of their way to look after you.

If it were I, I would get a car service to pick me up at Naples station. It would be so much easier with all the baby extras you need to bring.

8. Re: Positano with a young baby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 19, 2013