We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano, yes or no?

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Positano, yes or no?

For months my husband has been asking me where i'd like to go for my 50th birthday in May and i've decided it has to be the Amalfi Coast. We wanted to go 24 years ago but owing to circumstances didn't make it.

I've had a look but am not quite sure where i'd like us to stay although i have to say there seems to be something seem to be drawing me to Poistano although i'm open to suggestions.

My husband is quite practical so he'd like us to stay somewhere with reliable public transport as we will not be hiring a car and we'd like to visit Pompeii.

As it's my birthday i'd just like to enjoy some good food and wine, relax, a nice hotel/apartment with lovely views and a bit of sightseeing.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprexiated.

xChez

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Positano, yes or no?

Hi

I am biased but I say Positano, Positano, Positano. We have visited 2 time in the last 3 years and cant wait to go back.

We are in our 60/70"s and just find Positano so wonderful to stay and relax.

Lots of lovely restaurants and easy to get around by ferry to visit Amalfi, Capri, Ischia etc. You can then visit Ravello etc from there by public bus.

Not quite so easy to visit Pompei, unless you take the bus to Sorrento and then the train, but you could do a private tour easily from Positano

I think that it would be a wonderful place to celebrate an anniversary, in fact we have travelled the world and I could not think of a better place.

What dates are you talking about as I am not sure if the ferries are all running in May.

Please ask any questions you have. The trick to Positano is selecting a hotel based on location, location unless you want to be climbing 100 or more stairs every time you leave your room, though you do get wonderful views if you choose one of the hotels that meander down the cliffs.

I can not recommend one in particular as we always stay at b & b's or less expensive hotels when we are there. Some of the hotels run to 1000euro or more but we usually pay around the 100euro a night.

Enjoy your trip

Janderra

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Positano, yes or no?

I have been to Positano many times and love it so I too am biased. In May, it will be nice because you can take advantage of the boats/ferries to various places vs the bus which can get very crowded.

If you offer up a budget range here, people can make useful suggestions about hotels/b&bs/apartments.

Here's a blog by someone who lives there - it is a daily photo blog - will give you some visuals to enjoy:

http://positanodailyphoto.blogspot.com/

and another by someone who lives in Amalfi:

http://www.ciaoamalfi.com/

If you decide to take the ferry over to Capri for a day, you can look over:

www.capri.net to start to decide what you might want to choose to see there.

Before you decide though, you might want to search out photos - and more info - about the other Amalfi Coast villages, like Amalfi itself, Ravello (the one village high above the coastal road from which you would need a bus to reach the sea), Praiano and others. Amalfi and Positano are the largest - which isn't saying too much, as they are small - it is just the others are smaller.

Positano will be crowded during the day, but there are parts of the village where you can wander, with a lot of up and down, without being in the middle of the crowds and there is a wonderful, smaller beach - Il Fornillo - about 10 minutes away from the main beach (which is what you see in most photos of Positano) - so you can experience both beaches.

Also - once the daytrippers leave, it takes on a different energy and feel.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Positano, yes or no?

1930 to 2012 - isn't that 82?

Personally, I'd most probably pick Amalfi - however if Positano's your dream then go for it... I'm fairly sure one's not 50 twice!

And, if worst comes to worst, let YOUR present to DH be a driver to take you both to Pompei - perhaps 80 Euro or so...

http://www.amalfi-drive.com/fares.html

... then do the trip back by taking the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, and the SITA bus, for some 15 Euro between you!

It's always hard here to forecast quite which boat services will be running and from when, but - if finished in time - this year (from April onwards) you could instead have gone by sea from Sorrento at 3.30 PM...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/140463172

High time it was updated (so do cross-check any and all times, prices etc!), but for more about the Sorrento Peninsula and Amalfi Coast, you may like to download this useful 'Travel Directory' from the official tourism website...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

Note that the website of the 'Metro del Mare' - which may well not begin again until later in the season - has changed, and is now:

http://www.metrodelmare.net/

Peter

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Positano, yes or no?

Positano is lovely and a great choice for a special holiday. The scenery here is spectacular, I have never been in May but in June/July it can get very busy. Positano is centrally located on the Amalfi coast and you get to other places quite easily from here via the local bus, which goes to Praiano or the sita bus, which goes to Sorrento (approx 50min - 1 hour), Praiano (15 mins) and Amalfi (i think about 45 mins) and also the ferry to Capri (about 40 mins).

One of the only downsides to Positano is that it can be very expensive. The restaurants on the front can charge about 6 euro for a can of coke and 10 euro for a small ice cream sundae. Also, not sure if it has changed, but a couple of years ago the only way tourists can sit on the beach was to pay about 15 euro for a sun lounger - this may have changed now though.

An alternative option could be Praiano, which still offers good links to other areas along the coast (it is about mid way between Positano and Amalfi). It is a little quieter here and a bit less touristy. There are a few nice restaurants here, such as Armandinos and Costa Diva, the restaurants in Vettica (the main part of Praiano), like La Strada have a lovely view over to Positano, so you can see it lit up at night and watch the sunset. There are 2 beaches here, although not as accessible as Positano as they have steep walks down to them, they are nice and cheaper to go to!!

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Positano, yes or no?

Thank you for all your replies.

Janderra we will be travelling at the end of May and our budget is about €100 per night so any recommendations you have will be gratly appreciated.

MomCat1992 had a look at the daily blogspot and will try to read it daily.

A_Brit_In_Ischica 1930 is the year both my parents were born. I'm sure i will be able to stretch to paying for a driver for a trip to Pompeii as a treat for my husband!!

Praianowedding i have taken on board what you have said re Priano and will have a look.

I will let you all know what i have decided.

xChez

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,019 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Positano, yes or no?

I just spent 7 days in Positano in late October and had gelato every day - never paid more than 3 to 3.5 euros for a cup. But, the second you sit in a restaurant and have exactly the same gelato, you will pay 3 times that or more; it is silly.

I save my sitting in a cafe for having wine - which is actually cheaper than the gelato and have my gelato while sitting on the beach or wandering and perching myself someplace down by the water.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Positano, yes or no?

Hi Cherry 1930

The last time we visited we stayed with a lovely english gentleman Paul. and his italian wife They have a very comfortable b & b with 4 units and a long terrace looking out to sea above Positano. It doesnt have the wonderful views of Positano that some others have because of the trees.

The units have either a small kitchenette or a fridge with plates, glasses etc and a jug. So enough to make breakfast and a snack.

They are beautifully clean and a touch oldfashioned (typically family owned italian style, with a huge bath and shower over the bath) and quite large.

We really enjoyed staying there as it is so convenient. It is about 20 mins walk down the hill to Positano village, beach, the local bus which runs every half hour down to the village then up the mountain and along the top and back down is almost outside. There is a fruitier, deli, wine shop etc close by. There are about 10 restaurants for dinner within 10 mins walk or you can walk down the stairs tot he beach to the restaurants there. We never do as we find them more expensive and the 45 stairs to get back to the village to get the bus is a bit of a hike. We get lazy.

Paul also has 2 units with lovely terraces just above the b & b which looked very nice and that is where I would stay next time if I was free.

One of the other good things is that there are only about 8 stairs to the road and in a place where some hotels have 100 or more stairs this is a bonus.

Of course the more steep stairs the better the view.

100euro isnt a lot for Positano as some hotels are 1000euro or more a night.

When we were at Pauls 2 years ago we paid 95euro without breakfast and that is very good value. As I said it is very comfortable with table and chair on the patio, clean and very welcoming and homely but not glamourous.

Paul and Lucia were wonderful to us and brought fresh lemons from their tree and when I was sick rang the doctor and Lucia came and translated for me as he spoke no english.

We hope to return to Positano this year and if we do we will stay with Paul and Lucia, hopefully in one of the units at the top.

Have a look at Casa Maresca website, what you see if what you get. Also my reviews from September 2010.

I suggest taking a private driver to get there from Naples or Sorrento. In the past we have done it by train to Sorrento and then bus to Positano but took almost a whole day and was a nightmare of a journey. What with no airconditioning on the 1 hour train ride, waiting 2 hours for the Sita bus in a long line of people even though we got there 1 hour before the bus was due. The first one filled up fast and left and we had to wait another hour and then stand all the way. Then you need to walk about 45mins down hill with your luggage or else get the small local bus down the hill.

The other alternative is catching a ferry which is great but there are 45 stairs to carry your luggage up from the port (so use the Positano porters) just across from where the ferry stops Last time we went 7euro a suitcase and it will be delivered to your door. After the 45 stairs there is a small hill and then you either need to catch the local bus us the mountain or else walk up the hill/mountain to your hotel.

We use Roberto from amalfidestination.com to be picked up at Naples station now and it is very good value to arrive fresh in airconditioning in about 1.5hours. See his website and reviews. I have also recommended him to people for tours.

We often leave by ferry as that is easier especially if we are staying in Naples but again use the porters

If you contact Paul tell him Ray and Kay from Australia recommended you and also to Roberto.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other questions or PM me.

Location, Location, Location in Positano without too many stairs can be important. Some of the accomadation doesnt have any restaurants nearby so then you need to catch the bus for dinner and it stops running at 11.00pm. We just like to walk. During the day we tackle the stairs tot he beach etc no problem and walk all day but at night we are too tired.

Janderra

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Positano, yes or no?

Cherry

I also went to Italy for my 50th Birthday last May. it was a lovely time to go, apparently not too busy (but busy enough!) Positano was our first stop as the Amalfi Coast had been for many years on my 'yearning to go' list! We loved every second of it, a beautiful part of the world, even though Positano can be expensive and touristy, you can not take away from the stunning location. It is a bit of a mission to get there, but well worth it, or take MomCats advise and get a driver from Naples.

The downside is the cost of accommodation in Positano...anything with a view is going to come at a high cost - it is a special occasion, maybe you just have to take a deep breath and do it! Otherwise personally I would choose Praiano above Amalfi hands down - though the town of Amalfi and definitely Ravello are well worth a visit.

With some time spent researching you can find ways to not spend lots of money but still sample wonderful food and take in the sights of the area. Trip advisor forums have a wealth of information and tips from travellers, you just have to spend time sifting through them. Especially when it comes to restaurants, there are some reasonably priced restaurants serving very good food, but it would pay to have some places in mind before you get there and rely on hotel recommendations.

Have a fabulous trip!

9. Re: Positano, yes or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 10, 2013