We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do? where to stay?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
what to do? where to stay?

Hello all

I am travelling to Naples with some friends in early October. I have been there before and love the city. But I htought it would laos be worthwhile to get out of th ehustle and bustle of it all and have a few relaxing days on the beach.

I am currenlty trying to decide if I should catch a ferry out to Ischia island for a few days or head down to Positano.

There will be three people travelling in my group and we are all in our mid 20s. We are looking for something relatively economical. Our plan for the two days is to do no more than relax and eat!

Does anyone have any strong opinions about Ischia or Positano?

Is it easy to get to Positano from Naples airport? Does anyone know roughly how much it will cost?

Thanks for your time

ChuangLi, Taiwan
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do? where to stay?

If you are looking for something relatively economical. you should go to Ischia, it's easier to access from Napoli and less touristy. I think you can do a day trip to Amalfi Coast if time permits,

the view is really stunning. If you want to spend a night in Positano, be prepared, because Positano is a way-too-well-known destination that the hotels are

relatively expensive(so as Capri) and there will be tons of tourists everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do? where to stay?

Some people suggested that Ischia will have effectively shut down by October. Is this the case?

Will Positano still be rammed with tourists by October?

ChuangLi, Taiwan
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do? where to stay?

And by the way it's not so convenient to connect Naples airport and Positano. Basically, you need to take the shuttle bus to Naples central station and then take another private train Circumvesuviana to

Sorrento, which will take about 1 hour. From Sorrento

you will need to take the SITA bus to Positano and it will take another hour...so you may need to spend around 3 hours for transporting from the airport to Positano.

A great alternative is to go by taxi, but according

to the owner of the hotel I stayed in, the fare will probably be 110 euros one-way(and it's a discount price).

To rent a car is highly not recommended, because the Amalfi Drive is narrow and the parking fee is pricey.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
ChuangLi, Taiwan
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do? where to stay?

I went to Positano this May...it was still not the highest season according to my knowledge, but there were tourists came from all around the world everywhere. I don't think it will be much different in early October.

For the Amalfi Coast and the islands near the Naples bay, they are qalways all out of business during November to March next year.

If you go to any place around this area the price of the hotel room will be much cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do? where to stay?

I noticed there are ferries from Naples to Positano. Does anyone know if they will run for the first week of October? How long does the trip take and roughly how much does it cost?

Thanks again for your time

California
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do? where to stay?

I would go to Ischia and enjoy the thermal baths and visit a few of the towns there, and the amazing gardens of La Mortella near the town of Forio. You can also do a day trip from Ischia to either (or both) Procida (I love love love this island) and Capri.

California
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do? where to stay?

P.S. Positano is pretty to look at, but IMHO it's pretty boring otherwise. Amalfi and Ravello are much more charming (cafes, churches, villas, art, etc.).

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
ChuangLi, Taiwan
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do? where to stay?

I totally agree with risamay, there are not many things to do in Positano except looking at the land scape and eating...and keep eating and drinking.

For the ferry connections, actually there are not many ferries between Naples and Positano in October.

Many companies only run their business in high season, which means between May and September.

you can find some info yourself in the following links:

http://www.metrodelmare.com/

www.campaniatrasporti.it/orari/eng/index.asp#

http://www.inaples.it/eng/trasporti.htm

And please note the the ferry timetable is subjected to change without notice for the weather condition and other reasons.

If you decide to take a boat, please comfirm with the local ferry service before you go to the port.

I had been informed that there are ferries from Salerno to Positano, but when I arrived at the port of Salerno, I was told the Positano-bound ferry was cancelled because of bad weather. I eventually took another ferry to Amalfi and then took the bus to Positano.

Mentioned in this post
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do? where to stay?

Ok. If Ischia is the way to go any tips on which part of the island is the best to stay on?

California
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to do? where to stay?

Sant'Angelo is cute, but kind of isolated. I think I'd stay near Forio. That said, buses on the island will take you just about everywhere you need to go. A bus or a cab.

…venere.com/mediterranean_sea/…