We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

Chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

My husband, our 11 year old daughter and I are travelling to the Amalfi Coast this summer. I am not certain whether we should stay in Sorrento or in Positano. We will take the train from Rome to Naples and then on to our destination, then travel around the Amalfi Coast as well as visit Pompeii and Naples for day trips. Any advice on which town seems best situated for our plan, which hotel you would recommend, and any tips on making our 4 day visit work out best would be most appreciated! We'll be moving on to Tuscany from here. Wish us luck!

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

I suggest you to stay in Sorrento at La Tonnarella hotel. From Sorrento you can take the Circumvesuviana train ( local train) to Pompei and Naples and also feriies to Capri.

Chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

Thank you, J30! Any other advice on Campania?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

Hello ddisher ! Have a look on the Amalfi coast/Campania/Positano forums - these questions have all been asked and answered before - and there are reports back from people who've been over. You just need to be patient and read your way through ! Basically - if you have a short stay then hiring a car is not a good idea for the Amalfi coast (very bendy roads/narrow one lane each way/ meeting buses and reversing round bends to let them through/ sheer drop to the sea on one side, hard rock face on the other !). Ercolana (Herculaneum) is a smaller archaeological site than Pompei and easier to visit - on Circumvesuviana railway from Sorrento. Just as beautiful, mosaics, carbonised furniture, wall paintings, baths, etc. You could do it in two hours - for Pompei I'd recommend a half day at least and bring drinking water with you and sun protection - no shade. Don't forget Ravello with its villas and gardens - on the Amalfi coast, suspended between sea and sky - divine. The islands can be visited by ferry from Sorrento - Capri and Ischia (volcano to climb on a donkey, hot springs), you could do a trip up Vesuvius...and you can do a day trip to Naples if not staying there. Depending on how much time you have on your journey up to Tuscany - you could stop off at Pozzuoli and the Solfatara (guided visits - guides on site- volcanic crater at sea level - bubbling lava and whiffs of smoke) followed by the lakes (Averno - mythological gateway to hell) and the Sibyl's cave... or travel inland to the Royal Palace and gardens of Caserta (a cascade of several fountains, with mythological figures as statues, waterfalls etc.).

Or.... there's Urbino with its cathedral and palazzo ducale or.... you need a guide book really - read up and then work out a route - remember the trains are cheap - the coaches aren't bad either and most long-distance ones are airconditioned. Difficult to recommend hotels - depends on your pocket and your likes/dislikes..... with pool/without... do you want to go swimmng ?... Sorrento is on the cliff and you need to take a lift(elevator) down to the sea or lots of steps down the cliff - some hotels have lifts - there's a public one in one of the public gardens. But the sea is deep and non-swimmers don't like it - you're off rocks and pebbles and wooden bathing platforms into deep water. You could go swimming in Amalfi and Positano - small pebbly beaches and coves. The long sandy(volcanic, black sand) beaches between Naples and Rome are best for children and non-swimmers - the closer you get to Rome the lighter the colour of the sand, it's nearly dark beige off Gaeta. Don't worry - the black colour doesn't stain ! Have fun ! Nolana

Chicago
Level Contributor
150 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

To everyone who was so kind to take the time to respond to my question about Sorrento vs Positano - MILLE GRACI! Tripadvisor & travel-loving "strangers" have helped us make informed decisions. Thank goodness for you & Tripadvisor, too! I truly appreciate your time and feedback.

Wayne. New Jersey
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

I personally would recommend to stay in Positano. I found it to be a most unique and beautiful town. I think its more centrally located on the Amalfi coast. You can do day trips from there to Capri, Pompei and Sorrento. I would not recommend Naples, for it was pretty crummey there in my opinion. We dropped off our car ther (my husband & I ), and i couldn't even stand outside the rental car place because all kinds of men were saying things (thank God in Italian so I really couldn't understand). It pretty dangerous there to me and he's a cop and is used to different cities and situations. any questions, e-mail me at Sandyprime11@AOL.COM

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

I traveled to this area 4 years ago with my 10 yr. old daughter, just 2 yr. ago August with my 12 yr old son, and am taking my now 12 yr. old son again this August. Definetly stay in Positano. Without a doubt it is more beautiful, and less congested. Go to Pompeii, they all loved it, and rent the headset to walk around with. Have her to do some research on it first, it is unbelievable. A full day event however! Then drive the coast from Naples south and enjoy. So beautiful, any other thought on what to do with the children. Sharzwing@aol.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town should we stay in - Sorrento or Positano?

You indicated that you "drove south from Naples", can you share a little more about your experience with driving in this area. Where did you go? Was it as crowded and dangerous as people say?

Thanks so much!