We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portovenere to Cinque Terre

Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Portovenere to Cinque Terre

I will be staying in Portovenere for 2 nights so I would leave from Portovenere, see Cinque Terre that day and then return to Portovenere that night, The last time we were there we drove to the train station in La Spezia and took the train to see the five towns.

This time I was wondering if it would be easier to take a boat over, train between towns and then take the boat back to Portovenere late afternoon.

I have heard that their can be a great delay waiting for trains. Is that true? How long is the boat ride from Portovenere and how often does it run

What would you recommend?

Appreciate any help.

Mentioned in this post
Portovenere
Portovenere
2,680 Reviews
Porto Venere, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,918 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portovenere to Cinque Terre

It's very easy to take the boat from Portovenere, and return the same day. It was about an hour each way. We actually stopped at all five towns, ate in Manarola, and returned to Portovenere at night. You can boat between towns. The pass works for the entire day. Boats run all day long. Yes, the trains have long waits.

Mentioned in this post
Portovenere
Portovenere
2,680 Reviews
Porto Venere, Italy
Manarola
Manarola
Cinque Terre, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,712 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portovenere to Cinque Terre

I quite agree its a good way to do it going by boat, if I remember rightly we went to Monterosso first and then worked back towards Portovenre, really loved Portovenere , almost prefered it to the Cinque Terre,

Mentioned in this post
Portovenere
Portovenere
2,680 Reviews
Porto Venere, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
3. Re: Portovenere to Cinque Terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 28, 2009