We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distance from Olbia to Villasimius

UK
5 posts
distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Olbia Airport to Villasimius as I have booked a flight into Olbia this Monday but am unsure where to stay, I want something in a good area with nice beaches and not too expensive. I have arranged car hire but am unsure of the size of the island, can anyone help me???

Tips on where to stay would be great

Thanks

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
1. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Olbia - Villasimius is about 4 hours with a petrol stop or two. It is much quicker to go down the 131 via Oristano to Cagliari then over to Villasimius rather than follow the ss125 eastern coast road down. I much prefer the neighbouring Costa Rei when in that area.

Closer to Olbia look at Santa Teresa, Cannigione, Palau, San Teodoro, Cala Gonone - all driveable within an hour.

Santa Teresa and environs or the Cala Gonone area typically hold the cheapest accomm those options:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g608922-Santa_Teresa_…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g608907-Cala_Gonone_S…

UK
5 posts
2. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Thanks very much, spent another 6 hours trawling the net last night for suitable accomodation, I think I have left it too late all the best hotels/prices have gone is the cost of living cheaper in the south as well?

I have looked at hotels and emailled a couple of villas to rent so may be onto something but just in case where else might you recommend staying?

Thanks again

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
3. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

hhm, July is far busier this year compared to recent years but still not anywhere near as manic as August,there should be some last minute selection available.

There are a few coastal variations in prices across the island but they don't really follow a north/south bias - Cagliari is commonly regarded as having the highest cost of living in Italy; Costa Smeralda is by far the biggest anomaly where in villages like Cala di Volpe, Porto Rotondo, Porto Cervo holiday pricing can be among the most expensive on earth(!).

What accomm are you looking for ( number of beds & budget )?

UK
5 posts
4. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Thanks again for you help, I am looking for a double with a baby cot (2 years old),

Need to have access to a pool and not too far from the beach, although we have hired a car so that should not be a problem.

I would like good food nearby with a local atmosphere for lazy lunches and evening meals.

Budget looking at around 600 euro for the week, so I know not a great amount.

I have enquired on a couple of apartments for rental but these seem to be full now.

Really appreciate your help

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
5. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

How important is the pool? That drastically reduces the choice and at the same time significantly bumps the price.

Some of the resort type campsites have last minute prices for their bungalow options - contact them direct - that match your budget. Dont get put off by campsite, they really are quite good.

www.isuledda.it

www.capodorso.it

http://www.isoladeigabbiani.it/

www.campingcugnana.it/

These 4 campsites are in stunning locations and have very good facilities, all with cottage/ bungalow options. Cugnana has a swimming pool.

I've pm'ed another last minute deal that could be of interest..

Sardinia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
6. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Working along the north coast, there does seem to be reasonable availablity near Castelsardo.

The link is to long, but if you go to booking.com and search 'costa paradiso' and then cross reference against tripadvisor reviews you should get some choice.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

dancingbrave..you can type in long web address on the webiste tiny url and it create a small one that works, very good for TA that has restriction.

http://tinyurl.com/

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
206 reviews
8. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

tallgirl85 you could try San Teodoro some places have last minute special up to 40%! For the pool not many self catering have it (if so out of the town a little) but if you look at the hotel on www.visitsanteodoro.com some do have the facility (English version available up top left of the page).

Here are the list of the agencies in the town, two speak English well for the email that might help to look....il mare or ist centro vacanze. The drive is about 25 minutes from Olbia airport (the sign to San Teodoro appear just as you take the left from the airport exit) and the town is full of families with young children. There are the night markets (like in other towns too) that are pleasant to walk around the streets closed to the cars and from the town area to the beach 1km walk - or parking paid or in a nearby resident street. Other suggestion by dancing brave are good to consider too. Hope it helps ciao.

UK
5 posts
9. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

Thank you very much for all your help, you have been very generous with your knowledge.

I have managed to get a good looking apartment in hotel complex in 'costa paradiso' I am now very looking forward to leaving for my holiday on Monday morning.

Any recommendations on places I should definitly visit or great places to eat as we have a car and intend to see as much of the island as possible?

Thanks again

10. Re: distance from Olbia to Villasimius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, October 05, 2009