We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit one of Italy's own island paradise - Ponza

Christchurch
1 post
Save Topic
Visit one of Italy's own island paradise - Ponza

I had the pleasure of visiting Ponza in June 2006 to visit the island home from where my grandfather came from. It is a beautiful place, it caters to tourists, although probably more Italian, as there is little english spoken on the island, but you will get by, and i can tell you where to go if you want some english conversation. If i was to compare it to another island, when we got to Mikanos we thought it was very much like Ponza, although i thought Ponza was a lot cleaner.

Ponza reminds me of many years ago, there are children playing in the streets, laughing and playing, not stuck behind a computer playing games or watching videos. It is a very relaxing island. Only about 45 mins by ferry from Formia (which you can get to by train between Naples and Rome).

The beach that most people go to is easily reached by a shuttle boat for about 3 Euro return per person. Best to take food with you to the beach, we grabbed some food from the dairy right near where the boat leaves from and a slice of pizza (for about 2 euro!) as the bar / cafe on the beach can be expensive but well worth it, they have salads etc there..

If you feel the need to go for a hike, try and climb to the top of the mountain, give yourself a couple of hours and take water with you!!

You can also hire a boat to tour around the island, they are definitely not speed boats, but you don't need one, the sites are just amazing, and the water is crystal clear, make sure you put your anchor down for a few hours of rest and relaxation.

Iowa City, IA
Level Contributor
4 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit one of Italy's own island paradise - Ponza

I have a question about Ponza (or other Pontine islands). My husband and I are taking a long-ish trip to Rome in March, and I thought it might be nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and go out to the islands.

However, would it be fun in March? Will it be too cold to enjoy? I don't mind if we can't swim at the beach, but would we still be able to walk along the water? Is it such a summer-centric place that many things will be closed?

Thank you!

boston
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit one of Italy's own island paradise - Ponza

Nessaj

I'm soon to visit also, because my father grew up in Ponza.

Did you happen to stay at either Chiaia di Luna Hotel or the Grand Hotel Santa Domitilla? I'm trying to decide if I will stay at either and was trying to figure out which might be walking distance to a beach, and which might nicer overall.

Thanks much

3. Re: Visit one of Italy's own island paradise - Ponza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ponza Island