We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Which Palinuro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel Palinuro to Salerno

I am looking for some travel options from Palinuro to Salerno for June 2009. Trying to meet a mid-morning train in Salerno, I wonder if there ia a bus service or the cost of a taxi.M

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

The Trenitalia website shows there are trains from Palinuro to Salerno weekday mornings at around 7 and 8am. The next one is not until about 11am. The trip takes just over an hour.

http://trenitalia.it/

Toronto
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Thanks. My difficulty arises becasue I am trying to travel on a Saturday.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Same train times on a Saturday. I suspect your problem arises because you have been looking at times for a date after June 13, when the train schedules change and are not yet available online - so 'no solution found' is displayed for any day of the week.

When the schedules finally appear on www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html , they are likely to be the same as current dates or not too different.

Note that the train station in Palinuro is nearly in Pisciotta a few miles further up the coast, so you may have to get a bus or taxi to get to you there.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Hi

We are going to stay at a Holiday Village near Marina di Camerota and were recently told that it is better to take a train from Naples to Pisciotta-Palinuro and then a bus to Camerota. We have not been to this area and was wondering if that is the best way to travel down. We were also told that there is a bus service at the Naples Airport down to Salerno, but some say that the bus stop is outside the Airport, others that the Sita bus is right outside Arrivals. Obviously we then have to try to get down to Camerota from Salerno but can't quite find out how and where. We are starting to get stressed because of all the different info! Any-one been there, done that that can give us some proper info? Many thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

That all seems very complicated and time consuming. Why don't you rent a car at Naples airport and just drive down?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Airport car hire seems the best to me too - this area has poor public transport, although there are also the summer-only boats that run from Naples to Sapri http://www.metrodelmare.com/ and do call at Marina di Camerota.

I've answered your other post, saying that there is car hire at Camerota - but note that Camerota is a fair way from Marina di Camerota (and uphill all the way).

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Thanks everyone - I have thought of getting a car hire from Naples which seems quite reasonable, the only thing that frightens me is the thought that I would get horribly lost trying to get back to the Airport. Apparently the signs for the airport disappears and some-one mentioned that there are more than one Exit ramp to take but didnt know the correct exit number. Whoever has driven back from the south and has good info, I would appreciate it.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

Nothing to fear about the car return at Naples Airport. We have driven back there - also from the Cilento coast, although Santa Maria di Castellabate rather than Palinuro. It's actually very straightforward - probably only a mile off the motorway, we thought the signs very clear (especially for Italy!) and the car hire pick up/return is very close to the terminal (100 yards) so it's very convenient. And fyi there are a couple of petrol stations right by the airport too (one takes cash only, the other does take cards) which we would have liked to have known ahead of time as we were worrying about that. We thought FAR easier than returning to Ciampino airport in Rome, both in terms of getting to the airport without detour and closer from rental place to terminal.

Enjoy!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,559 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

I agree with the above - no trouble returning a car at Naples, and you go nowhere near the centre of Naples, it's just off the autostrada.

It's a very pleasant drive from Naples, but a very long way, and be warned that roads after leaving the autostrada are not very good. I'd be inclined to go the long way round via Sapri.

Cornwall
Level Contributor
125 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Palinuro to Salerno

I am already confused.......!! one of you say it is a long way and go round somewhere else and the other one says it is quite straightforward and near the autostrada :0( - I believe there one sign that says civil airport (advised not to take that exit) and further on another exit that doesn't say anything about an airport but is called Capodichino and that is the way to the airport. help!!

Get answers to your questions about Palinuro
More Palinuro Topics