We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

We would like to travel from Rome Termini station on a regional train to Orvietto on a Sunday July 6th. Does anyone know where I can find the train schedule and how often the trains run on a Sunday? Thanks.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

The schedule is currently available only up to June 14 but will probably be similar after. So look at any Sunday before then on www.trenitalia.com clicking the UK flag for English and entering Roma Termini to Orvieto and your 'hour' of departure, e.g. enter '13' for 13.00, and to see the fare use a date this week.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

Thank you. There is a big price difference between the regional and fast trains. SHould I buy my ticket return in Rome? Will the ticket office be open since I notice our charge cards don't work in kiosks. Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

The high-speed routing Rome to Orvieto is a fluke: essentially, some trains leave only from Tiburtina and Trenitalia is showing an expensive high-speed train as a connector. There are other, cheaper ways of getting to Tiburtina.

The Intercity trains have some discount for advance purchase, but even the walk-up Base fare is not high. And the "Fast Regional" trains are cheaper, even as a walk-up fare. If you want a discount on a particular Intercity route, you could save 7€ by buying in advance, but for this route I would just purchase at the station.

Cash works in the kiosks if you need to use them.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

Certainly buy Regional tickets in Rome not online. These can be bought in advance if required, as bought in Italy they are OK on any Regional train on the route for 60 days, which is why they must be validated (time/date-stamped) before boarding.

The ticket office will be open. Regional ticket machines take cash (including bills) and give change, otherwise you need a chip-and-pin card

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

I am on the Trenitalia site for train schedules going from Rome Termini to Orvieto on Sunday 6 July. I find only one train returning to Rome Termini at 19:28. Am I on the correct site for train schedules? Do the regional trains have different schedules from the Trenitalia? We want to leave Roma at around 10:00 in the morning and return around 18:00 in the evening but want to know what options we have if we "miss the train". Thanks.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

are you using July 6th to check train times? If so, all of the regional trains are not on the schedule yet. To get an idea of frequency use June 1st, which is also a Sunday.

Rome to Orvieto: 8:58, regional, 10:30 Intercity

Orvieto to Rome: Regional trains 17:23, 19:36, and 21:27, buy before departure, there is a self service ticket machine, validate ticket before boarding, sit where you like.

Intercity: 19:28, 20:10, more expensive, have assigned seats, no need to validate

I would note the schedule and buy your tickets before departure. Regional train tickets can be bought days in advance at the train station or minutes before you leave. You just have to validate them before boarding.

However, some of the trains departing from Orvieto are Intercity tickets, which are more expensive and have assigned seats, those you don't validate.

7. Re: Rome to Orvietto by Train on Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 29, 2015