We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday in Orvietto

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday in Orvietto

Will most things be closed in Orvietto on Sunday, or will some shops/museums, etc. be open? We'll be there in about 2 weeks. Can't wait! We have a week in Umbria and are just trying to "time" and finally pinpoint our itinerary. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Umbria
Umbria
Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Hi minniemeris

I've been in Orvieto (just one T) just on Sunday three years ago and I was able to visit all what I meant: Cathedral, St. Patrick's Well, Archaeological Museum, Orvieto Underground, etc.

For the Cathedral tourist visits were permitted in the afternoon (the morning there are masses).

The opening hours are available at the following website:

www.orvietoviva.com/it/content.asp?c=2&m=43

It's only in Italian, but hours are easily understood.

Brun066

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
West Chester...
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Not sure if you are drivibg to Orvieto or not. Youll be okay on the Autostata at night but the locsl roads can be quite tricky. Did it two nights in a row and it was exhausting on the dark curves with trucks coming at you.

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Orvietto is awesome. Been there lots of times and can't remember if we've done it on a Sunday....but generally most things tourist related are open on Sundays...check out the website provided in the previous reply. If you do drive in for the day there is a big car park near Pozzo San Patrizio (St Patricks Well) and then you can jump on the bus up to the top of town where the duomo and underground tour starts....walking back down the hill isn't so bad if you have the time or just jump back on the bus/shuttle. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Crick22

We will be driving from Rome to Florence in October. We planned to stop in Orvieto for lunch. I've got two questions, if you can help me.

1. Where is the large carpark you mentioned? I cannot find the Well of St. Patrick on the available maps. Is it close to the A1/E35 motorway exit for Orvieto? Are there other parking area near the train station?

2. Do you have any recommendations for a great place to have lunch in Orvieto?

Thanks for any help!

Edited: 12:02 pm, September 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Here a map of Orvieto upper town with the major sights:

www.orvietoviva.com/orvieto-map-2013.pdf

The letter "A" marks the well of St Patrick. As you can see, the well isn't near the motorway at all; it's close to the upper terminus of the funicular coming from the railway station and then from the lower city.

If the parking lots that are in the upper town are full-up (or are too expensive) you can park at the large parking lot which is behind the station and then climb to the city by funicular.

Brun066

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Pittsburgh...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Was in Orvietto a few times early in the summer. Never found the fabled "big lot". The small lot at the station/funiculare was always full and I inevitably backtracked and found a lot far up the side roads to the right of the main road (south/west). There are lots there if you are willing to walk pretty far.

New York
Level Contributor
209 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

Grazie! (Both for the spelling correction and the info!) We leave tomorrow evening and are very excited. Appreciate your writing.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

The parking (free) that is "behind" the Orvieto station (not "in front", where also the lower station of the funicular is) contains 450 parking spaces. It seems to me that it can easily be called "large" (especially for a small town like Orvieto).

On the subject you can also refer to the following topic

tripadvisor.it/ShowTopic-g194843-i1755-k4994…

It's in Italian, but with Google translator can help anyway.

Brun066

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

FYI

GPS Coordinates

42.721427 12.119684 - Pozzo San Patrizio parking area.

Use Google Map street view to see parking area and Direction signs for sites

42.717359 12.113055 - Orvieto Duomo

Mentioned in this post
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
10. Re: Sunday in Orvietto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 13, 2015