We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips by car

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips by car

Can you please recommend day trips by car from Orvieto. We like to return to the town we are staying in for dinner, so it would just be a day. thank you.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips by car

You can easily visit Cortona, Perugia,Assisi,Spoleto,Todi,Montepulciano and Siena. Orvieto has an excellent location next to the Autostrada so you have a head start on daytrips.

We enjoy visiting a new town daily and having a wonderful lunch;puchasing some local wine, then going home and enjoying the wine with some appetizers.

Have fun with your holiday planning.

Assisi, Italy
Level Contributor
508 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips by car

don't forget Civita di Bagnoregio …wikimedia.org/wiki/…Civita_di_Bagnoregio.jpg

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips by car

direnda,

Consider Viterbo, Pitigilano, Sorano .

Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips by car

We drove to this winery -- http://www.decugnanodeibarbi.com/

What a lovely place this is!

Then on to Todi for a late lunch.

I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it had a lovely outdoor seating area where we could sip our wine and enjoy the views of the Umbrian countryside. To be honest, I'm sure the view was better than the food, but I always love my food when I'm looking at a beautiful landscape!

Be sure to include time to linger in Orvieto. It, to me, is a beautiful, wonderful place. Walk to the far edge of the village, away from the Duomo, and you'll be rewarded with a beautifully peaceful walk.

Enjoy!

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips by car

There are some lovely small villages each with their own charm, all fairly close to eachother---Paciano (which many people like, but was a little quiet for me), Panicale (bigger, a beautiful piazza and walkable from Paciano which could be fun trip), and Piegaro (with a fabulous history of glass work, a glass museum, friendly people, and a wonderful restaurant--Juni's-- which boasts a fabulous seafood menu, unusual for these parts).

If you are ever in the mood for a short jaunt, to do something a little different, I suggest a goat farm just outside of Orvieto. The owners are lovely, the cheese is incredible, like something out of fancy Parisian shop, and so inexpensive it blows my mind. Fattoria del Secondo Altopiano. Visiting the farm was a highlight of my family's year in Umbria.

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips by car

Thank you sounds wonderful...especially the goat farm

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips by car

Oh, I'm so glad it was helpful! The goat farm is so much fun, and a unique Italian experience (the goat farmer is from Sicily, and is into homeopathy for animals). If you want more information, my blog includes a day we spent there.

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips by car

Earlier I was reading your blog. Love your adventurous spirit. My husband and I will be in Sicily before coming to Orvieto. When I have more time I will continue reading your blog. Thanks.

Spello, Italy
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips by car

We are considering a trip to Sicily if we can swing it next month between my son's piano competition and school getting out (when we go to France for vacation). I have never been, but one of my favorite people in Spello is from Sicily and my friend here, who lived in Sicily for years said it is an island of people just like him. Which is enough to make me want to go there--I've never met a happier more affectionate human. I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and if you need more Orvieto advice, I'm happy to help!

Michelle

www.ilbelcentro.com

Vero Beach, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips by car

We're staying in Orvieto the first 2 weeks in June. We are also planning day trips to surrounding towns. Have you taken your trip yet?