We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help us. We are travelling the first Sunday in July from Fiumicino to Orvieto. We get in about 11.30/12 o' clock. There is a train from Roma Termini to Orvieto at 12.35 and the next train is 16.35. We probably will not get to Termini until 13.00/13.30 ish so we don't fancy hanging around for 3 hours.

Is it possible to get a coach to Orvieto from near or outside Termini? Or is it possible to get a train to Orvieto from another station in Rome i.e. Tiburtina etc. All suggestions welcome.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

if you use the 3rd of July you are only seeing the IC trains. There is a regional train (slower and cheaper) that departs more frequently. Not all of the regional train times are on the on-line site but they will be eventually. Use a date a few days in future from today to get an idea of times and cost.

Since you are heading to Orvieto from the airport, you may want to consider departing from the Rome's Tiburtina train station. It is a cheaper ticket than going to Termini. However, only the regional trains stop at Tiburtina. The IC train departs from Termini.

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Thanks very much for your help. I tried your suggestion and if you only look at week ahead on the website, there are other regional trains( one about 2.45 which would suit fine). Really appreciate you taking the time to suggest how to solve our problem.

pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Does anyone know of the easiest way to day-trip from Orvieto? We'd like to visit Florence, Deruta, etc. while there but don't know if renting a car is the most stress-free way to go. Also, what's the best way to get from Rome to Orvieto?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,277 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

The best way of getting from central Rome to Orvieto is by train.

You do not, under any circumstances, want to drive into Florence. Take the train.

You would have to look at the train schedules to see whether they would be convenient for any other places you want to visit.

pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Thanks for the info. I'm an old airline employee......used to flying from spot to spot. This ground transportation thing is a lot more confusing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Commitments - I'm doing the same train journey on the same day.

I'm going from Tiburtina station on the advice of many. Seems to be a quieter station with better connections.

Make sure you read up about the Orvieto-end of the journey. The station is at the base of the hill. You take a cable car up to the old town.

Have fun - Orvieto is my 'jet lag' stop after 30+ hours in transit. So looking forward to this glorious town.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

From Rome to Orvieto, I'd take the train. I'd also take the train from Orvieto to Florence, although it's a two-hour trip. From Orvieto to Deruta, you'd really need a car. It would take about four hours by train, with several changes of train.

You could visit Siena, changing trains at Chiusi, but that's about two and a half hours. You could also visit Arezzo by direct train.

There are buses to Bolsena, on the lake of the same name.

los altos...
Level Contributor
469 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

Upon arriving in Orvieto, you can also take a taxi.

USA-NC
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

We are taking a daytrip to orvieto from florence and I was wandering about how hard it is to get a taxi back to the train station-my return train leaves after or close when the funicular closes. Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Roma Termini to Orvieto

I suggest you get a taxi into town in that case, and ask the driver for a number to call for a taxi back. Or, if you're eating dinner in Orvieto, ask the restaurant (before the meal) if they can call a taxi for you at the end of the meal. Leave yourself plenty of time, because a town like Orvieto doesn't have a large number of taxis, and you could find them all occupied elsewhere.