We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Distance from Naples to Orvieto

What is the driving distance from the port of Naples (we're arriving by ship for the day) and into Orvieto? Are there tour buses that go that way and return by the time the ship leaves (10 hours) ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Orvieto is not a realistic day-trip destination for ships docked in Naples.

There are no tour buses, and it would be more than two hours by train each way.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

It's actually closer to three hours than to two hours each way.

Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

I am sorry I meant to say from Civitavecchia to Orvieto. Not Naples

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Orvieto,+Italy&daddr=Civitavecchia,+Italy&hl=en&geocode=FTbNiwId0c64ACmxTUW1SswuEzEQruXjkCwIBA%3BFaxCggIdTgG0ACld1kDHVqMoEzGJnR6wjIkW9w&mra=ls&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=08%2F05%2F10&time=3:05pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=42.40723,11.950905&sspn=0.868987,1.815491&ie=UTF8&ll=42.298643,12.175598&spn=0.87049,1.815491&t=h&z=10&start=0

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

There are still no tour buses, and it's still 2.5 to three hours each way (because the slow Civitavecchia-Rome trains take as long as the fast Naples-Rome trains).

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Cut and paste the link above. It is for train service. You can change to auto if you like.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Google maps is totally unreliable for public transportation in Italy. In the case above, there is no train leaving Orvieto at the time indicated by Google Maps. There is a train leaving Rome for Civitavecchia at the time indicated, but assuming one *did* arrive in Rome at 5:23 PM, there are two earlier trains to Civitavecchia that would get you there a lot earlier than the one shown by Google Maps.

By the way, Nana was looking for transportation *to° Orvieto in the morning, and Google Maps says there is no way to get there by public transportation.

If you want train times in Italy, use:

http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

If you can get to the Civitavecchia train station by 8:41, you could be in Orvieto by 11:42 (3 hours). If you leave Orvieto at around 4:13 PM, you'll be back in Civitavecchia at 6:48. I really don't think it's worth the trip, but try putting your exact hours in the timetable above.

I suggest you visit Bracciano, a castle town on a hill overlooking Lake Bracciano. You can get to Bracciano in less than two hours by train from Civitavecchia, changing at Rome's San Pietro station. Another nice destination is Tarquinia, which can be reached by bus from Civitavecchia. Tarquinia originated as an Etruscan (pre-Roman) town, and there is a wonderful museum of Etruscan artifacts, including a fully re-assembled tomb. There are buses from the center of Tarquinia to the ancient Etruscan necropolis, where you can see other beautifully decorated tombs.

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Pardon me.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

No need to ask anybody's pardon! There was no way for you to know that the directions weren't reliable. I just didn't want anyone to depend on them. I tried using the public transportation option a few times myself before figuring out that it was worthless. Once it suggested I walk for six hours to reach my destination!

I don't know if it's reliable in other countries. Do you have any experience with it elsewhere?

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distance from Naples to Orvieto

Typically I use it for car, bike or walk. It works very well for these modes of transport.