We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Umbria visti May-June 2008

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Umbria visti May-June 2008

A friend and I have booked a place called an Agriturismo from mid May-mid June 2008 . http://www.casarondini.com

We are really looking forward to driving around the small towns over such a nice long trip. However, we are recommended to fly into FCO and drive. Is there a problem for a person who has never driven in Italy to get in and out of the airport and head out of the city area?

I also need to find out if you really HAVE to have an International driving permit to rent a car now in Italy like I've been reading???

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

I've never been asked about an IDP when renting a car. Others have posted that Hertz asked for theirs. The problem occurs if yu get stopped by the police for any reason. Without an IDP they can fine you. Go ahead and get one for 15-20 bucks and be safe.

italybound@verizon.net

Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

Thanks, I'll be sure to get one and my friend as well since we will be sharing the driving. Now i'm wondering if I can just make the two inch" square pictures from digital images or do I have to go get the passport pictures made? Do you have any idea? Seems like I wrote the AAA an email but haven't heard anything back from them.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

The AAA office will take the pictures for you for $10 and the IDP is $10 for members. If you have pictures, you can just take them in to use. Walgreen's will do passport pictures for $8.

TAB

Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

Thanks..........I will have to see where they have a AAA location near me. I'm not a member. I can always get the photos if they charge about the same as other other places and send them in.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

You can go onto the AAA website, fill out the form and mail it in with your photos and a copy of the front and back of your driving license.

You do not have to be a member.

Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

Thanks.........I'll do that. But since they only last a year I'll wait for a time. I'm not going until mid May.

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

You can actually put the starting date you want on the form.

So if your drivers license is valid for more than a year/just put the starting date as next year a week or two before your departure date.

You will have it within a few weeks and it will be done.

8. Re: Umbria visti May-June 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, September 05, 2009