We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

We will be visiting Montepulciano for 4 days May 28 to June 1. We have booked an apartment in town. What type of nightlife can be expected? Is there anything to do at night after 21:00? Or does the town essentially shut down? We will be 6 adults traveling together.

Your advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,000 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

Apart from restaurants, there is not much open in Montepulciano in the evenings. Once the day-trippers leave, it is a small rural town, and that is its charm.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,266 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

A friend and I did come upon a club late at night - wasn't even open yet and it was already 11:30 p.m. They were just setting up, getting ready to open - so, there may be some there - we weren't in the mood so didn't stick around - a tad too much neon for my eyes and we were pretty tired.

But, I wouldn't expect much - and, that was the only such place we saw after walking through the entire town that night - but, there's often hidden places in towns, who knows? -

Dinner usually doesn't begin until about 8-8:30 - and usually ends at 1.5 hours later (we usually took about two nice relaxed hours) - then, a meander, a stop in a bar for a last drink.

Maybe some of the bars have some sort of music - don't know.

Good luck in your quest!

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

You can have a drink here:

locandasanfrancesco.it/wine-bar-tuscany.html,

http://www.caffepoliziano.it

or

enotecaladolcevita.it/eng/bruschetteria.html. The last one is more like a restaurant, but you can also just have a glass of wine here, especially on the terrace.

I noticed that at the weekend the evenings were a bit busier, but weekdayevenings were very quiet.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

You'll find live music sometimes at E' Lucevan le Stelle, the lovely wine bar attached to the Locanda di San Francesco, as well as at Caffe Poliziano. There's also dancing on weekends at a hotel out of town (le Capannina) but I have no idea what it's like. There is a discotheque on the main road between Montepulciano / Chianciano - The White Moon - but rumour has it it may have closed. Discos tend to be in out of town places, often industrial estates, I guess for noise / parking reasons. In summer, there is much more going on when almost every village locally has some type of local sagra / festival but I can't picture anything that particular week. The Torrita Blues & Jazz (which is a great event) is later in June.

United States
Level Contributor
214 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

Thank you all for the great information and suggestions. We are looking for something to do later, say 21:00 to 24:00, and you have given some good suggestions.

Can you recommend any "DON'T MISS" restaurants in town and around the area? The TA listing of restaurants sometimes includes those mostly frequented by tourists. We are looking for reasonably priced, but nice restaurants serving innovative local foods or those restaurants frequented by the locals.

Grazie mille!

Boston...
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

until what time can you sit on a terrace for a glass of wine on a weekday night? we will be there in september. We enjoyed stopping for a drink after dinner in Rome when we were there last year.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

As treacherous as this may sound, I personally don't reckon there are any "don't miss" restaurants in Montepulciano anymore and "innovative" restaurants are few and far between. Le logge del Vignola was the last place I ate at with Montepulciano born friends and it was an exclusively local clientele that night, though it was admittedly winter. Gattavecchi is good too but only in the enoteca for the dining room out the back lacks atmosphere, and the food's traditional (though excellent quality) Tuscan fare. Otherwise, we tend to go over to Montisi (Il Barrino has very quickly acquired a strong local following) or down to Valiano to Piccola Trattoria Guastino, which is another local favourite.

Georgetown
Level Contributor
428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

One of the very best meals we had in Tuscany was at Osteria del Conte in Montepulciano. It was packed and at the time we went (September), reservations were a must. I had the lightest ravioli stuffed with pecorino from Pienza in a light cream sauce and my husband had the tagliatelle with cinghiale. We both shared a secondo of porchetti. It was incredibly delicious. I would be tempted to go back to Montepulciano just for another meal here!

9. Re: Montepulciano at Night - Anything to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 08, 2015