We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

We are considering staying at the Villa Poggiano, which is outside the main part of town. On google maps it says it would be a 40 minute walk from the Museo Civico. We are an active couple and a 40 minute walk seems fine to us. Do you think this is safe to do after dinner in town to walk back to the Villa in the evening so we don't have to drive? Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,915 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Relais San Bruno does avoid the highway, so that's an improvement. It's a 20 - 30 minute walk, depending on how fast you walk. I would bring along something reflective (like what bike riders wear or carry) so that drivers see you after dark as these are still very narrow roads with no shoulders.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,586 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

I wouldn't walk that road at night - I did do so a few times during the day and you need to be very careful - no sidewalks, narrow and curvy so even during the day, I was needing to keep turning around to be sure I was safe from a car coming from around a curve - at night, I drove it a number of times - using high beams when no cars were coming towards me - because it is pitch black (depending on moon phase) and there are no lights (i.e., street lights). Walking it at night, possibly after a glass of wine or more is just not a good idea - well, even without wine.

I stayed a bit further away - about 8 mms away - and drove to and from the town, parking in the lot at the bottom of it. Can't imagine being in this area without a car -

You could, if you decide to not get a car, see if there is a taxi (restaurants will know) that can be called to return you safely to your lodgings - even if not far, it may be the safest thing to do if they are willing to do a short run.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

I am planning a stay in/near Montepulciano with a friend in early October and we were looking at Casa Bibi (tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g194833…). After reading the comments here, I am now concerned about the same issue as the original poster. I tried to check out the terrain on google street view, but can't figure out exactly how far out this place is, as the bing map included with the posting doesn't seem to match google. Any locals have thoughts on this? We were hoping not to get a car, but we could if absolutely necessary.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

If you want to explore the area near Montepulciano, a car is pretty much essential. Public transport is sparse, and timed to meet the needs of local workers and school-children, not tourists. If you don't want to be stuck in a villa outside Montepulciano, you need a car.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

We sometimes get a car when in Italy and sometimes don't -- Montepulciano is one of those places you really can't stay for long without a car. If you don't want to rent a car, then base in Florence or Siena and take buses, trains or tours to other places you want to go -- in fact, Florence is the best base for that. We love Montepulciano and used it as a base for two weeks a couple of years ago. We rented a place in town with parking.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

As others have said, do hire that car. We see people posting periodically that they have had a good stay in Montepulciano without one but it does limit what you do and when you do it hugely as you're reliant on the very poor public transport system.

And an update on walking home from dinner. Due to the massive amount of rain we've seen this winter, landowners across the province are being encouraged to ensure drainage channels for rain run-off from their land are kept clear so we're seeing a lot of ditches being dug out - some well over a foot deep - and this is going to make walking beside the road even more challenging as whatever ground there was between the road and the fields now becomes a trench. I recently spotted a mini mechanical digger doing just this on the precise same stretch of road the OP would have to take.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

Very helpful info, thanks much! We were planning to stay a couple days in Montepulciano and a few days in Florence, but based on this feedback we may just pick one and rent a car for that portion of the trip so we can venture out into other towns. Not to go too far off the topic of this posting, but are the roads between towns in this area fairly easy to navigate with a decent map?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

The roads are well signed, with almost every intersection showing the places each road goes to.

19. Re: Walking to Villa from center of town after dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 13, 2015