We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short itinerary help

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Short itinerary help

Leaving from Venice, I have 4 nights to spend in Tuscany region. I have a couple questions.

Pienza or Montepulciano as a base?

Should I drive all the way from Venice or take a train to Florence and rent my car there, or even another city like Siena or Chiusi?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short itinerary help

Toss a coin and either base stay will not disappoint www.discovertuscany.com

Car rental Venice - Siena or Chiusi www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

You will require an International driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short itinerary help

I would pick up a car from Piazzale Roma in Venice and drive. It is a quite easy 4-hour drive, mostly on good quality toll motorway, and you don't have to haul your luggage on and off trains.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short itinerary help

They are both good bases. Pienza is smaller but flatter, Montepulciano larger and hillier.

usa
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short itinerary help

i noticed you're doing a trip similar to ours, why did you decide to rent your car in venice and not florence.

Since you can't drive in Florence?

just asking because it would be nice to drive ourselves to Florence so we don't have to deal with the train schedule.

im also trying to decide between pienze or Montepulciano?

since Montepulciano is larger for more activities and restaurants i think we may go there.

what did you decide?

Im hopping to get these details done soon!

thank you

angela

usa
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short itinerary help

i noticed you're doing a trip similar to ours, why did you decide to rent your car in venice and not florence.

Since you can't drive in Florence?

just asking because it would be nice to drive ourselves to Florence so we don't have to deal with the train schedule.

im also trying to decide between pienze or Montepulciano?

since Montepulciano is larger for more activities and restaurants i think we may go there.

what did you decide?

Im hopping to get these details done soon!

thank you

angela

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,112 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short itinerary help

If you drive from Venice, you put your bags in the back of the car and forget about them, instead of having to lug them on and off trains, and into a taxi to get to a rental office.

Pienza (not Pienze) is a very attractive town, but it is small and does not have many restaurants or shops. Montepulciano is larger, but much steeper.

usa
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short itinerary help

Thanks for the correction, my bad.

I think I'll keep looking for accommodations in montepulciano

I'll think about the car ental in venice or may waite until we're done with Florence

THX

Edited: 3:29 am, January 25, 2014
Torrita di Siena...
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short itinerary help

Why driving from Venice,when you can easily get in Florence by train (2h with Frecciarossa train www.trenitalia.it ) switch for Chiusi-Chianciano Terme ( south direction of Rome,about 1.30 h ride) then hiring a car in Chiusi and get in Montepulciano or Pienza in 20 minutes..

Check pricing for both options... but by train imo you will arrive in Tuscany well relaxed and not stressed by Appenino mountains leg Motorway driving with all tracks around you!

usa
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short itinerary help

thank you, for your advice.

we are going to train to Venice, tour there for 2 nights and then rent a car and see San Gimignano sights before we head to montepulciano.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short itinerary help

So this may be too late for most of you, but for future travelers here is what we did. We picked up a car in Piazza Roma in Venice and drove to Montepulciano. It is not a difficult drive, just drive carefully and don't feel pressed by the crazy italian drivers who tailgate and flash their lights. Just safely pull to the side and let them pass as you travel across the beautiful Italian countryside. Why take a train to Florence and drag all of your luggage. Just throw it in the back of the car and go. Its an easy drive. We rented from Avis which was must cheaper than Europecar.

We stayed in Montelpulciano which is a great city. Lots of places to walk around and great restaurants. If you use that as your base you can get anywhere in Tuscany. It is one of those hilltop towns so great views everywhere and you dont need a car when you are there, but need a car to get there. We stayed in Locanda San Francisco which I absolutely loved (check my review). However, one place I recommend to go from there, and we did on the way to wine tasting in Montalcino is a dairy farm outside of Pienza called Podere Il Casale. This place is so worth a visit. They make Pecorino Cheese there, but also goat cheese, ricotta, olive oil and wine. You need to reserve ahead of time, but it was the highlight of our trip.