We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day trips from cetona

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Two day trips from cetona

I have two full days to explore from cetona and was wanting to make sure I balance taking it easy and seeing things

Day 1 looks something like

Montepulciano

Pienza

Sant antimo monks( hopefully in the morning but can't be sure from their website what time is open to view church and what time one can listen to the chanting)

Montalcino wine farm, small homely farm with a possibility of a small tour of facility

Would like advice on the best order to do this in

Thinking sant antimo in the morning

Montalcino late morning

Pienza lunch

Montepulciano from around 2 pm

All on a Tuesday

On the Monday

Cortona

Swim in a lake

Thermal bath late afternoon ( where that is as natural as possible for around 2 hours but not too pricey

Visit any other good spots in the area

If anyone knows please also advise best spots to park

A swim in a lake

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two day trips from cetona

Both are very manageable indeed from Cetona (which is such a lovely place, great choice). Day 1 works well, though possibly a bit rushed? Irrespective of which way you go, Sant'Antimo must be a good 75 mins drive from where you are, if not a bit more, plus the road is so beautiful, you're bound to want to stop for photos therefore adding even more time. Allow an hour for Montalcino (do visit the fortress), on to Pienza for at least another hour and I'm thinking it'll be closer to three by the time you get to Montepulciano. But that still allows you plenty of time there. Combining Cortona with a lake is a great idea and one we do often. Hit Cortona early before it gets too crowded and then head over to Castiglione del Lago on Lago di Trasimeno for lunch, snooze and then a swim in the lake? Thanks to all the rain this winter, the lake this year is full (some years it's pretty yuk and muddy and not very appealing). We were there recently and so tempted to go for a swim as the water looked really inviting. There are water sports at the lido including little pedaloes. I've just replied to your post re thermal spa but now I see you're at Cetona, why not consider the pool at next door Sarteano? It's not like Saturnia, it looks like a regular simming pool, but it's in beautifully landscaped grounds and the water is natural at 24 degs C, if I remember rightly. It's a very popular place with local people, especially during the school holidays. It's open all day and not expensive to get in.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
4 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two day trips from cetona

Thanks for the great suggestions and response. Looking at it on line I think I will try for the Fossorial Bianco. Looks like I will need to reverse the itinerary. First montepulciano then pienza then montalcino the sant antimo and then the pools. Let me know if you think that might be a challenge. Really not 100% on when is right to hear the monks based on their website it's not really clear when you can visit vs listen.

Thanks again

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two day trips from cetona

At Sant'Antimo, the day is split into three sections between the chanting of the psalms, Mass and "visits". Visitors can be present whilst the monks read the daily psalms (which they sing / chant) but obviously people have to sit in the pews in silence. Where you see the words Terza, Sesta, Nona, etc these are the periods of chant. Visitors can also attend Holy Mass, which is at 9.15 daily / 11 on a Sunday. Then, there are two periods during the day when visitors can enter the abbey and just wander around admiring the architecture soaking up the atmosphere, this is between 10.15-12.30 and 15.00-18.30 but you won't hear any chanting then. Hope this helps.

4. Re: Two day trips from cetona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 01, 2014