We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

Is there a city bus to the big grocery store or must one take a taxi?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

I am not sure which supermarket you mean? There is a rather large supermarket within walking distance from the walls. There was another one a the bottom of the hill but we did not like this one very much.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

Yes, the Conad (almost opposite Sant'Agnese) is only yards from the Montepulciano city walls. The next largest supermarket would be PAM at Centro Etrusco at Chiusi but it's not worth paying a cab fare or waiting for a bus to go there. Will you have a car whilst you're here? Hope so for it's going to be very difficult to get around otherwise.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

No I will not have a car. I will be attending school and plan on using the buses or trains on the weekends.

So, I can walk to Conrad, but after buying groceries is it easy to get a cab back to apt within walls? Or must I only purchase what I can carry?

Thanks again

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

There are some lovely, packable tote bags that have wheels! They will hold an amazing amount and you can trundle/wheel your purchases back "home". I have even used one of these AND pressed my carryon into service as another wheeled conveyance for groceries/etc. Wine bottles or water bottles do nicely in the carryon. If you get into the Italian habit of shopping frequently for fresh food (a habit that may be supported

by the size of your refrigeration), you'll quickly find you're delighted with that lifestyle. You may also find some things that are available - bread, cheeses, etc. - at smaller shops inside the walls.

Houston, Tx
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

great idea about the tote on wheels...thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

Montepulciano has a small bus that travels up the main street of the town about every 15 minutes during the day. I know it stops at the gate at the entrance to the town. Tickets are probably from the Tabacchi or maybe on the bus (someone in town will know)

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

Absolutely, SavannahMame, I couldn't live without my basket on wheels and they can be purchased cheaply in the weekly market. And shopping daily (or sometimes twice daily) is what people do.

8. Re: transportation to large grocery store outside the walls?\

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 01, 2014