We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

I’m posting this in both the Pienza and Montepulciano forum as I imagine that is where we will be doing most of our eating. My husband and I will be spending one week in an agriturismo close to Pienza. My husband is a very picky eater and I am worried that we will struggle to find restaurants where he will be happy to eat. Basically, he doesn’t eat fish, an absolute no-no, he can’t even bear the smell of it! With meat, he will eat steak (well done) he will also eat chicken and pork but wouldn’t be madly excited about it. I think he would try the pico and wild boar that I hear is a speciality in the area, but to be honest, his favourite thing to eat would be pizza and simple pasta and sauce.

I am just wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of restaurants in Pienza and Montepulciano that might be suitable. We would prefer low to mid range places, maybe €70 or less for dinner with a carafe of wine

Also, we will have a little kitchenette and would like to keep costs low a couple of nights, is there anywhere that we could buy nice food to cook ourselves? I wouldn’t want to cook from scratch, but can you buy fresh pasta, fresh sauces etc or are they frowned on in Tuscany! Thanks in advance :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Lastraniera, I'm glad that you had a positive experience . Anyway, if I was staying in town a limited number of days, I would consider many other places for a lunch or dinner before going there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Near Pienza and highly recommended:

www.osterialaporta.it/monticchiello.en.php

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

This may be too late for you, as you may have already been on your trip. I am also a fussy eater. I am pescatarian, and allergic to mushrooms. I have found on my many visits to Tuscany that it is very hard to come by fish and expensive, but I never have problems with pizza or pasta. It is more difficult to get pizza in some places (in the higher end restaurants) but I love the pizza in Cagnano and it is very well priced, also my husband likes the wild boar pasta. It is a simple restaurant though not at all fancy.

Il Pucino is ok but there are much better places. Generally I find that actually some of the simpler places like the wine shops with food rather than the "best" restaurants are better if you are fussy as the food is simpler and can easily get caprese salad, various pastas , cold meats, cheeses that sort of thing .

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Thanks for your reply, ptfc, we haven't been on our trip yet, we leave on Sept 1st. I have Cagnano down on my list, so good to hear another recommendation for there. I'm sure we'll find loads of places once we arrive, it's just when you look on Trip Advisor at the reviews a lot of places don't look suitable for him. I'm sure we'll find simple little places that might not be on Trip Advisor.

I have La Buca di Enea in Pienza on my list. I think he will like the wild boar pici. Also the agriturismo that we are staying in seems to have a nice restaurant, (Agriturismo La Fonte) so i'm sure we'll eat there once or twice.

Can't wait, I am dreaming of a fresh caprese salad! That's something that just can't be replicated over here, the ingredients just aren't good enough.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Naperville
Level Contributor
919 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Here's another vote for Ristorante Tre Stella. We have eaten there several times on our past trips and will again this time when we go in September. They have good pizza and pastas. It's a family place with mostly locals. Not sure if we have ever seen other tourists there. It feels like the real Italia.

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Well if you don't go until 1September I will have been and come back by then again. Im off in 2 days just having 3 nights there during this holiday. If anything else comes to mind when im ther I will make a note an d let you know. Many places have there menus outside as well so you can just wander and have a look at them

Kansas
Level Contributor
630 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

I would second Osteria Acquacheta in Montepulciano. Best steaks. The place is crazy fun and seeing the owner at work is worth the visit in and of itself.

leeds
Level Contributor
156 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

Osteria Acquacheta is very fun and my husband loves it but if your husband likes steak well done its not really possible - its pretty rare as the steaks are so big. We came home today and from the 3 days in montepulciano we enjoyed the pici al ragu ,pizza, zuppa de legumes (veg soup) and a shredded duck dish at Cagnano (the panzanella was not so good). We both had lovely pici at Osteria del Conte (near the Duomo), some nice soup at La dolce Vita which is a wine shop and the owner Cristian is very helpful. The burgers looked great - but were quite rare. Our best meals were Gagnano and outside on the terrace at Griffin D'Oro downstairs from cafe Poliziano - mixed meats and Tagliatta for my husband and the Vegetarian Parpadelle for me. Griffin D'Oro was the most expensive meal there but still 73 euros for 2 courses and a bottle of wine and one course for our daughter. Gagnano about 50 euros

19. Re: Restaurant suggestions for fussy husband!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 02, 2013