We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

We are trying to decide where to stay. I prefer inside the village for the evening ambiance. However, we will be using our car to daytrip and although the hotel includes parking permit, I have read that it is a hair raising experience to drive through the village. Our car will be a manual. Oh yes, this will take place over 5 to 6 days.

Thanks

Aia Mattonata Relais
Aia Mattonata Relais
#1 of 40 hotels in Siena
Palazzo di Valli
Palazzo di Valli
#3 of 40 hotels in Siena
Villa Cicolina
Villa Cicolina
#2 of 27 hotels in Montepulciano
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

Definitely rent a small car. I can't picture a specific 1.4m width restriction in Montepulciano but you'll certainly come across them in other villages and even with a Fiat 500 that will mean wing mirrors in in order to get through comfortably. Plus, a smaller car is so much easier to park everywhere. In fairness, there are some steep parts of the town with a couple of tight switchbacks, there's also a very steep downhill stretch (one way) as you come out of the fortress car park. I did that the other night in the rain and although I know it very well, took it very gingerly. I'd prefer a manual to an automatic for you have more control with the gears plus they use less fuel and at Euros 1.84+ (or more in many places) a litre, that's currently an important consideration for most of us.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

Driving in Montepulciano is not difficult at all. Sometimes it can be more difficult driving in the countryside, where you don't have a lot of reference points.

The town is small, there are only two directions to approach the center.

We have a main street ( the Corso) , which is partially closed to the traffic, so following the directions given by your hotel is essential.

What I strongly recommend to tourists is: DO NOT USE your GPS in town.

I noticed that when we send directions to our guests by e-mail, some of them (from some reason that I still do not understand) don't trust us and they think that there is no reason to not use the GPS, which is more modern that a standard map with two directions written.

Result: they get lost after 5 minutes or, what is worst, they drive in pedestrian areas :)))

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,283 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

our landlord made quite a point of not using the GPS as well -- our route was rather circuitous and on the edge of town and involved some downright scary hairpin turns down very VERY steep grades -- but it got us there

you cannot drive up the main street regardless of what the GPS tells you.

we had a small car and there were some very tight squeezes.

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

Once again, thanks to all for the reassurance. We have in fact made reservations at il rondo - From all the friendly and helpful answers here, we will have a great time in Montepulciano no matter what :) By the way, I agree that driving manual does give more control. I guess I mistakenly gave the impression that this was an issue for me - in fact we are quite comfortable with the "stick shift". Totally looking forward to our visit!

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
15. Re: Driving In/Out of Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, June 19, 2013