We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortona vs. Montepulciano

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cortona vs. Montepulciano

I have found great rentals to stay in each of these towns, so I'm down to the final decision. We plan to stay a week in early May (husband and two teen boys). We will have a rental car which I assume we'll park outside the walls of either town. We are from a small town ourselves (4,000) so don't need a ton of attractions, just a historical hill town with some interesting sights, restaurants, shops, that we can enjoy when we're not daytripping elsewhere. Is Montepulciano so focused on wine that there's not much else to check out (regarding shops, etc.)? Any difference between access to the town if we're parking outside the walls and our apartment rental is within? (We don't really want a 1/2 hour hike every time we need our car.) Other differences or suggestions?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
387 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cortona vs. Montepulciano

Hi Ely, maybe you can find more shops in Cortona than in Montepulciano.

Montepulciano ha very good position ( near the A1 Rome-Florence) ant it's a good starting point for exploring Southern Tuscany (Pienza, San Quirico, Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, all the Crete Senesi area, Chiusi..), or to go to Perugia ( Umbria region) or Orvieto ( Lazio region).

Also, the town is not only focused on wine, and it's famous as one of the most beautiful hilltonws of Italian Renaissance ( 16th century).

In my opinion, Montepulciano is less focused on tourism from US than Cortona, and, from that point of view, is more "true".

On the other hand, Cortona is more "organized" for tourists and , for sure, there is more nightlife ( nothing to do in Montepulciano atfer 21.00 h..)

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cortona vs. Montepulciano

Thank you for your help! We'll go with Montepulciano. It sounds like just what we're looking for!

3. Re: Cortona vs. Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, March 23, 2010