We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Catie C and other experienced tuscans

We are a group of 8 adults traveling from May 5th to May 19th in Italy..Florence (5days)..Montepulciano (5 days)..and Rome (3 days). We have all our flights and accomodations booked and are now building our initerary. I know that the weather in unpredictable but would it be likely that we could wear walking shorts and sandles during our day tours or will it be to cool that time of year? As we are all travelling with one suitcase(26in) I don't want to pack things that will not be used therefore your opinion will be most valuable..thanks Laurie ...p.s. will be sharing our itinerary plans for your expert advice soon.

Italy
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Hi andylulu, normally may is good month for weather specially during the day, but is not summer and after dinner there is a difference of temperature and I think is not possible to stay with shorts and sandles only!! Don't bring all your winter clothes but somethings are necessary.

Bye Jack

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

It's so hard to say, Laurie, and it depends not only on the actual weather in Tuscany at that time but, also, what you're used to. I have friends from London, for example, who'll wear lightweight summer clothes when on holiday in Tuscany from Easter through to November and simply not notice what I regard as cold nor the fact that I've got a thick coat on! We've had 16 degs in recent days and sheltered in the sun at lunchtime it's been warm enough in just a pullover. If you're used to the chill, by early/mid-May I'd like to think it should be warm enough for shorts and sandles. The only problem could come if we have a cool, wet spell but you will be bringing some trousers (chinos perhaps?) for cooler days too?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Hi there. Any tips or advice on someone (ME) who has waited a bit long and now wants to soend 5 - 6 days in Tuscany and not pay outrageous rates. I was hoping to be under (well under) 100Euro per night. Not fussy about location although it would be nice to be "In town" as in walking distance to cafes and Restaraunts. Help!!!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

50bash...I would recommend you try the website Venere.com They have the hotel catogorized by stars,price and popularity and with reviews from past guests...also the price is listed...hope this helps..Laurier

tuscany
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Hi andylulu,

I agree with Catie C it depends a lot on the weather you are used. It's still Spring not summer . And also you have to take care of different temperature in Florence, Rome and Montepulciano. Then remember if you are going to visit churches such as Duomo in Florence or Siena, women can't dress shorts . As we say in Italy a tourist has to dress like onion, which means you need something warmer for early morning and evening and lighter during the day if it's sunny Generally temperature is around maximum 20° C early May . I know coming from Canada, Italy is warmer, but it is not summer.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Clemy, just the other day an Italian girlfriend used the expression "dressing like an onion" (I'd never heard it before) as we sat outside on a sunny terrace having lunch "peeling off" (staccarsi?) first our coats, then our scarves and almost our pullovers for it was that warm! I think that's how we should all dress in the spring time. And it is springtime too, isn't? The blossom is gradually appearing and the countryside's starting to look quite green already.

tuscany
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

you are perfectly right,today I've drive around in the countryside to take some photos . And spring is starting .

Regarding dress like an onion, I've learnt from an Italian tour guide during a travel in India where in wintertime in the morning you need coat and at noon you need T shirt

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Coat in the morning, teeshirt at lunchtime? Sounds just like here! It never fails to amaze me how many similarities there are between those two great countries, Italy & India. Rich cultural heritage, an overwhelming choice of places to visit, the nightmare bureaucracy, the very healthy cynical view of government held by its people yet firm belief (still) in democracy, and their ability to always find a solution to any problem. It surely can't be a coincidence that both an Indian and an Italian have said to me in the past, "there is a solution to everything except death".

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

I was in Florence and Montepulciano from May 4th to May 18th last year. When we first arrived it was hot in Florence and we left it was cool and rainy. So, yes, another vote for layers. Montepulciano is higher altitude than Florence & Rome, so it will be cooler.

I do not think it will be hot enough for shorts. This is fortunate because shorts are not really acceptable city-wear in Italy. People don't dress like they're going to Disneyland. It's not forbidden--like in churches--but it's not appropriate. It's different than North America, so don't bring shorts unless you're going to the beach.

PS Good for you re: one-bag travel is the way to go.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Catie C and other experienced tuscans

Oh come on please, you're being too hard here, we all wear shorts in Tuscany. OK, I may wear something else when going in to Florence for a day shopping in smart stores but I'd certainly wear them at home in the hilltowns.