We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

I notice that most people seem to advise flying to Rome and getting a train to Chiusi, where you can hire a car and drive to Montepulciano. What's your advice about flying to Florence or Pisa instead? Is there a reason why Rome is always mentioned as the first option, even though it's further away from Montepulciano?

London
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

Hi,

I think it's just beacause there are more flights to Rome but it would be easy from Pisa as well as the train leaves from the airport and then you have to change in Florence to go to Chiusi.

I don't know about Florence, I am not sure that there's a train station at the airport.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

Most of the people asking here are flying intercontinental into Rome.

If you fly into Pisa or Florence, rent a car at the airport. No need to take the train to Chiusi to rent a car. Just don't rent from a downtown location *in* Pisa or Florence; there are restricted traffic areas that complicate life immensely.

London, England
Level Contributor
102 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

Thank you both for this advice. We had thought of getting the train to Chiusi and renting a car there to avoid being flung into the Italian motorway system straight away! We're not especially brave drivers in other countries. Anyway, it's interesting to know that Pisa would work as well as Rome. Thanks!

new york
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

Two summers ago in June, I took my children who were 12 and 15 then directly to Rome, and when we were ready to leave we rented a car right on the via veneto, and drove to the freeway (sutostrada) then north to orvieto and montepulciano. it was a breeze after the first fifteen minutes. Just like driving in the U.S. First time ever driving in Europe, traveling without my husband, and we had a blast. The second best option would be to fly into florence, then drive south. DO NOT take the trains into the small towns of Tuscany. they're notoriously unreliable. We drove all over and went to siena and a variety of towns. Driving is the only way to go in tuscany. Just make sure to get a small car if you want to drive INTO the towns themseleves. otherwise you can just park in the areas outside the towns and walk in. we spent a week touring in tuscany alone, and never tired of visitng a different town , sometimes two, in one day.

Southern Tuscany
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

I personally think Rome is a far easier drive than out to Pisa - maybe quicker too - but I guess that's because I do it almost weekly so know it pretty well. Have you not considered Meridiana from Gatwick to Florence airport itself and hiring a car there? I take this sometimes and it's a good service.

6. Re: London to Montepulciano - best travel route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, September 27, 2009