We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy south, Calabria, convents

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Italy south, Calabria, convents

Hello travelers,

After spending days reading all these incredible forums, I am ready to participate. My husband and I have traveled to Italy many times with tour groups, but now would like to try it on our own. Groups never seem to offer trips to Calabria. I have researched my family's genealogy and would like to visit the town of Montauro in Catanzaro. We prefer not to rent a car. Is this possible?

Also, we like the idea of convent and monastary stays for some of the time, but prefer not to have to pay the reservation fee charged by "Monastary Stays". Curfew don't bother us as we are an older couple who doesn't go out late.We have no itinerary yet, but are open to suggestions. We have "done" all the major tourist attractions. Looking at early November when flights are cheapest.

Grateful for all assistance offered.

Denise

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy south, Calabria, convents

Calabria will not be the easiest destination for a first-time independent traveler; its tourist infrastructure is relatively underdeveloped.

Renting a car is the best option if you want to be reasonably flexible. There generally are buses that go from villages to the closest city, but they serve chiefly to get children to school in the morning and back home in the afternoon.

If you understand Italian, there is a Web site that lists almost all convents and monasteries that take guests in Italy. The information provided is pretty minimal; sometimes a Web address is given.

www.hospites.it

Puglia has much more of a tourist infrastructure and offers many places of interest.

You have posted in the Montepulciano (Tuscany) forum; you might get more responses if you posted in the Calabria forum.

2. Re: Italy south, Calabria, convents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 24, 2009