We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in walls or outside in country?

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in walls or outside in country?

We are spending three nights in the Tuscan countryside with our first night in the walls of San Gimignano.

Our next two nights we wish to spend in Montepulciano and are torn between whether to stay in the countryside outside the walls (i.e. Relais San Bruno or Villa Poggiano) or inside (i.e. Palazzina Cesira or Locanda di San Francesco).

I understand this is totally personal choice but I would like to request for feedback on some pros and cons of either location. Thank you!

Tuscany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

Dear friend,

I can't give you a feedback on the "hotels" you should find something on the reviews; consider if you're staying inside the walls you CAN'T come in the town with your car, you must walk to the place you're staying, then they'll give you a special permit to come with the car and download your luggage and they'll indicate you where you're allowed to park your car.

In the countryside you could find not too good roads, you have to use car to go anywhere you would like, even to the restaurant; inside the walls you can walk everywhere.

The countryside is more silent, but inside the walls there's a bit more life (depending on the period you're arriving).

These are the biggest pro and cons I can figure out now, if you have specific questions, ask and I'll try to answer you, if you need any suggestion just tell! I live in Montepulciano :-)

Regards,

Lorena

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

I suggest staying in town, you can walk to everything (and back after all that wine at dinner).

But: It can be noisy at night, especially along the Corso.

The town is not large, so the walk from your car to a hotel is not very far. Note that parking insdie the walls without a permit carries a goodly fine, and there is a system in place to find you after you get home.

Have a great stay either way.

Strabot

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
267 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

Thank you very much for your advice.

As of now we are considering staying our first night in San Gimignano and then the next 2 in the Pienza-Montepulciano area.

Because we will be inside the walls in San G. we may opt to be in the countryside for the subsequent 2 nights, either at La Saracina or Relais San Bruno.

Any thoughts regarding pros and cons of these two properties besides proximity to town?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Tuscany
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

If you go on the reviews you'll see what people think about these places; about the distance: Relais San Bruno is close to the Tempio di San Biagio and La Saracina in just outside Pienza.

If you type the name of the Relais and the town on Google earth or Google maps you'll have an exact idea of the right position of both them.

Hoping you'll enjoy your stay, regards

Lorena

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

We can only remark on staying outside the walls in a rural B&B. It was lovely and the views amazing. We were easily able to walk into the town each day. It was a pleasure walking every morning and evening - we would definitely do this again. In fact, we almost always stay in the country no matter what country we are in!

Atl, GA
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

I have just returned from my second stay in Montisi in Southern Siena. It is a perfect base for Pienza and Montelpulicano, as well as Montalcino.

The driving is in short distances along breathtaking country side.

Travel into the Val D'Orcia to south of these towns for other Tuscan treasures.

We stayed in a beautiful Apartment in Montisi for 90 euros per night.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
46 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

We have stayed at Relais San Bruno for the last 2 summers. I would not stay anywhere else. The beautiful pool, garden covered grounds, amanzing breakfast are enough...but the rooms are just perfect. Very large with beautiful bathrooms and toiletries. We have stayed in every room, they are all wonderful. Alberto will help you with any dinner suggestions and reservations and have plenty of suggestions for activities in the surrounding area. You will not be unhappy at Relais San Bruno.

The pool is nice to come back to in the afternoon. It sits just below the town of Montepulciano with a beautiful view of the Church and walled city.

Our family consist of 3 generations traveling together...we all agree that Relais San Bruno is our favorite.

Have a wonderful travel!

8. Re: Stay in walls or outside in country?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 27, 2009