We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on trains please!

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice on trains please!

Hi guys, need some advice. I never do public transport and we always have a car. Next week we are giving it a go for the first time and I am a little nervous.!! I’ve looked on the train website at https://www.lefrecce.it and it seems simply enough from Pisa to Montecatini Terme with one change. Has anyone done this journey? Is the station easy to navigate? Any tips greatly welcome Many thanks Paula

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Train stations have departure screens, similar to those at airports. These show the departure time, the train number (on your ticket for all fast trains), the final destination (which may be beyond where you are going to), and the platform (binario) that will be used.

You will be travelling on local (Regionale) trains. These have no seat reservations, so the train number will not be on your ticket. Use the Trenitalia web site and make a note of the relevant train numbers.

Regionale tickets bought in Italy can be used on any Regionale train for the journey purchased. Before you get on the train, you must time-stamp it in a machine at the station.

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, great advice. I can see the Train number but not the final destination so I will be sure to make a note of the numbers and get my ticket stamped... I’m clueless! Paula

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on trains please!

It's easy to get to Pisa, Lucca, and Florence by train from Montecatini Terme.

Note that when going to Pisa you'll need to change trains at Lucca. Also, if you're going to the Piazza dei Miracoli in Pisa to see the tower, cathedral, baptistry, etc., you want to get off at the Pisa S. Rossore station as it's much closer than Pisa Centrale. There's a passageway that goes under the tracks that leaves you a few steps from Via Andrea Pisano (make a quick google map and you'll see what I mean). From there it's a couple of short blocks to Miracoli.

If you're nervous about train travel play around with the www.trenitalia.com web site. You can print out schedules and information about the trains, including each stop on a particular line (click on the "I" next to the train number and the list of station stops will pop up).

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Oh this is a great help, thank you so much. This will be our first ever public transport holiday, and our first time in Italy. I will spend some time on the train site and do print outs before I go. You have been really helpful. Paula

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Here's some useful info on what the different types of trains are: …blogspot.com/2013/06/whats-difference-betwe…

Milan
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Please note that Montecatini has two railway stations which are about 1.5 km apart, Montecatini Centro And Montecatini Terme. The area around Viale Verdi, where most hotels are located is better served by Montecatini Centro. Regionale Train from Lucca stop first in Montecatini Centro than in Montecatini Terme. Make sure which station You need.

Nibbius

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on trains please!

You are all so helpful and great tips and advice. P

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Guys I have tried to buy tickets online at http://www.trenitalia.com but cant register!! Can I only do this if I am a resident of Italy??? I cant find my way around this? Please help. Paula

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on trains please!

The trains in and out of Montecatini are all regional trains, so there's no need nor benefit to purchasing tickets in advance.

berkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on trains please!

Hi thanks so much for letting me know. I just wanted to purchase to save time queing at the desks and the stress.. I just thought if I could pre buy my tickets its one less thing to sorry about. Paula

Get answers to your questions about Montecatini Terme