We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Topic
"Free Time" on Italy Trip

I will be traveling to Montecatini in September. We are part of a Trafalgar tour, Montecatini will be our "home base". As part of the tour, we will see: San Gimignano -- Sienna -- Florence -- Pisa -- Torre dDel Lago Puccini. (Trip is 10 days)

We have two days "at our leisure". Looking through a guide book, I believe we can take a train from Montecatini to: Lucca and to Viareggio. SEASONED ITALY TRAVELERS: DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A GOOD WAY TO SPEND OUR TWO 'FREE' DAYS? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS??

Also, should we use ATM at Rome Airport to obtain Euros, or are ATMs plentifiul throughout the other cities (Florence, Montecatini, etc.)

Thanks much in advance for any advice you can offer...I have learned so much from this website -- those of you who have traveled to Italy and are willing to share are really doing us 'novices' a service!!!!!

Bournemouth UK
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Free Time" on Italy Trip

Hope its not too late - you may have left already, it being September.

Viareggio is a lovely beach resort ideal for a day "al mare": have just got back from a 12 day visit.

Lucca is a glorious small city with a wealth of interesting history to explore, largely pedestrianised so easy to get round (but watch out for the ubiquitous bicycles!!).

Have a wonderful time!

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: "Free Time" on Italy Trip

Hi,

Having just returned from Montecatini, I would definitely recommend a trip to Lucca on one of your spare days. Only go to Viareggio if you prefer sunbathing to sightseeing. Also I hope you are not staying at the Hotel Monzano, I have travelled to Italy many times and have never came across such rude people. If you are I strongly suggest changing your booking !!! Plenty of ATM's in Montecatini. The spa in Montecatini is well worth a visit just for the tranquil setting as is Montecatini Alto (5 Euro return on the funicular).

Philadelphia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Free Time" on Italy Trip

Hello GracieMom.

I am going on a Trafalgar Tour and it sounds like we might be on the same tour we leave Sept 29. If so, and you are interested in touring a winery or multiple wineries please let me know. Perhaps we can do something together. I am twenty-something and taking my Mom. If interested please let me know atacka@hotmail.com. Our two free days are 10/03 and 10/06. I'm also interested in traveling to Lucca one of those days.

-Amie

Get answers to your questions about Montecatini Terme