We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

We've purchased a G1 package that looks great and I think will be excellent. Its for March 2018 "fly and drive" based out of Montecatini. While making the reservations we looked over an excellent menu of "add ons" (day tour to Sienna, wine tasting tours, etc.) that we would have liked to take advantage of. Now that we've made the reservation and paid for it, G1 tells me that none of these options are available to me(!) and no one can explain why. Still working the issue (and if someone from G1 can explain it here please do) but in the meantime would be glad to hear of any local recommended tours that WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY MONEY.

Winery(s), Pisa, Florence, and Sienna are at the top of our list.

Thanks all.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,115 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

So what are Gate 1 giving you for the money? Is it too late to back out and go on your own?

London
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

There is a good tour operator based in Montecatini Terme: www.comeandseeitaly.com Just click on the link for tours from Montecatini. I have used them on a number of occasions for day trips when I have been based in Montecatini. Some I booked before I travelled and others I booked after arrival. Montecatini is a good base and without a car you can easily do Pisa, Lucca, Viareggio, Collodi, Pistoia and Florence by train.

Enjoy your trip.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

It's an excellent flight, hotels, and car rental package.

GMM
Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

We took this trip in March of 2017 and had a great time. You should research and plan your wine tour based on your preferences (all day vs. 1/2 day, private vs small group vs large group, with meal or without) and where you'd like to visit. We took one out of Florence that included 2 wineries, lunch and a stop at San Gimignano. It was wonderful. Some other tips from our trip were: you can use your phone GPS (we used Waze) for directions, you'll have to rent tire chains (law requires having them in car until April even though it was 65 degrees), the train station is very convenient in Montecatini Terme. Don't miss Cinque Terre and Lucca, both were very cool.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

http://www.winetourintuscany.com/

Go here and book a tour with Donatella. You will not be disappointed

Boston
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

Is it because you are on the Independent tour ? In Montecatini try Cool Tours but Anna and Go & See Italy Tours. I found the Gate 1 Hotel in Montecatini very helpful. Can also book Tours using Viatours ............. a way to avoid lines once there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

You purchased a "bargain basement" package tour from Gate 1

Pretty much understandable that there are no frills.

As for the comments in Post #6..........

Avoid Viator at all costs.

They are not a tour operator.

They have never given a tour......ever.

They are an online booking engine.

They take the actual tour operator's service.......and then mark it up....and sell the marked up product to typically inexperienced / uninformed travellers.

Edited: 3:09 am, August 02, 2017
Boston
Level Contributor
115 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

Yes, I did not mean to use them for tours. I meant to use them for Museum Admissions, etc., to avoid lines or being shut out when there.....you can book a specific time to see David or to the Uffizzi in Florence. You don't need a tour...take the train and Rick Steves with you. Follow his walking tour in Florence. Have Fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

Once again.....why would you use a third party like Viator to book museum admissions?

You just book direct with the museum for a specific entrance time.

Why would you pay a mark up on a ticket t when it is easier / cheaper to book direct with the museum?

The best place for Rick Steves is in the bin.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,944 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gate 1 not offering optional tours; wineries, Florence?

Please poster of #6 and #8, refrain from giving out incorrect - and, what can be very costly - information.

Anyone can book directly with the museums/sites themselves with the site's official website to get admission tickets and/or tours with which they can skip the lines.

There is zero reason to ever use or pay more for Viator - for anything.

Just reiterating datthecoast's advice which is spot on.

And, I agree about the Rick Steves stuff - get real travel guidebooks not ones that only include what the author likes (i.e., Steves) - they are woefully lacking in providing full comprehensive information which is why you see the same people at exactly the same sites, all with his books - they don't know about all the other amazing places because he doesn't include them in his materials.

Get answers to your questions about Montecatini Terme