We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Interlaken Switzerland by train

Which Mestre hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Interlaken Switzerland by train

Sophie8, forgot to ask if you had any knowledge of trains for Switzerland. I understand you need to book to the border as one booking and then from there to Switzerland. Would we need to book here in Australia before we go September or would it be okay to do on the first day in Venice (only 2nts) or maybe we could do it when we get to Rome. Appreciate any help. MGJP

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Interlaken Switzerland by train

While you wait for Sophie's answer, I will share my experience.

We bought tickets from Como to that train's final destination in Zurich at the Como train station. I just got them 2 days ahead of time - no problem. We purchased tickets from the Swiss train website for the rest of our journey.

The German train website DB Bahn has schedules for all of Europe, It looks like you would take the Intercity to Milan and then the Milan to Zurich train (same train we took from Como).

So you can buy your tickets all the way to Zurich whenever you are at a train station getting tickets - though a couple days ahead of time is good.

Then you can buy your tickets on-line for the rest of the trip.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,929 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Interlaken Switzerland by train

The fastest and cheapest journeys from Venice to Interlaken do not go via Zurich. For the fewest changes, choose a connection where you can leave your train from Milan at Spiez, otherwise leave it at at Brig (and these are trains from Milan to Basel or Geneva, not to Zurich). See http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en? entering Venise and Interlaken

If you have not bought all or part of the journey in advance, you should be able to buy tickets for the whole journey in Venice, but preferably before the day of travel.

Edited: 6:37 pm, August 16, 2010
3. Re: Venice to Interlaken Switzerland by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 13, 2011