We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Which Menaggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Hi there,

I'm going to be in Europe next July. We are starting off in Paris and then would like to see one other place for 3-4 days. I've heard many great things about Menaggio in Lake Como,Italy and Lugano in Switzerland.

We are looking for a place where we can strolling along a boardwalk, do some easy hikes/walks, a lake cruise/ferry ride, a bit of shopping, check out a produce market, maybe take a cooking class etc.

Any suggestions about which location might be a better choice for us would be helpful. Thanks!

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

The 2 places you mention are vastly different.

Menaggio is no more than a village albeit with 2 or 3 nice hotels and good ferry connections to all parts of Lake Como.

It is often mentioned here because it is the bus departure point for Lugano in Switzerland.

Lugano in contrast is large and a very old established grand resort frequented by the 'old money' of Europe.

Consequently it has to be said that to rest there for very long is expensive !

Its lakeside promenade (I wonder if you would call it a 'boardwalk' ?) is very beautiful, gardens pollarded trees, elegant street furniture etc. It also has some funicular train rides to the surrounding mini-mountains to take in the spectacular views and have expensive lunches.

I may be wrong but I get the impression that you are looking for somewhere with a more laid back ambience.

I will give give this some further thought but Lake Garda comes more readily to mind.

We may continue,

Bob.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,178 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

itrav31 has offered an excellent comparison between Menaggio and Lugano.

But the bigger question – Do you want to visit Italy or Switzerland?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k1215…

Lake Como is near and dear to the hearts of Italians.

tripadvisor.com/…21525853

And Lake Garda is very diverse and very beautiful!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k2506…

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

hi eyeluvsushi

Do the both.

I stayed in Menaggio for 5 nights. We caught the ferry ( centro lago ticket) across to Bellagio and Varenna ( 15 mins apart) and then went to Lugano by bus from Menaggio for the day. It took an hour to get there. We spent time in the main shopping centre and ate a reasonably priced panini lunch in the basement of the main department store. There is a boat ride along the lake to a finicular which takes you up to Mt Bre for views. We did not do this as it was a very misty day when we went.

Also while staying on Lake Como go for a ferry ride right to the top of the lake for great views.

Also there are usually food markets on at various villages around the lake and the timetable for them could be obtained from the info centre which is in the main piazza,which is right on the lake front. The buses also pull in there as does the one for Lugano.

Also the ferry is not far from the Piazza.

Menaggio is small but very suitable fro travelling around the villages of the lake. If dining out at night I would check when the ferry arrives back in Menaggio, if venturing further afield.

There are also walks above Menaggio and Varenna.

Bellagio also has some nice shops and restaurants.

Varenna is even smaller with a nice promenade and a picturesque view coming in.

There is a promenade along Menaggio's waterfront also and a nice little pastry shop in the street above the piazza.

When we were there we were allowed a half an hour on the internet free in the info centre. The lady there is very helpful.

We also dined in a little glass fronted trattoria around the small alley next to the info centre. We only had lunch there a few times but thoroughly enjoyed it...very Italian with great service.

Ah Italia!

Enjoy

Niec

Toronto
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. It is very helpful. All three areas sound wonderful: Lake Garda, Lugano and Menaggio. Over the next few summers I think I'll have to visit all three places.

Melissa

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,254 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Do not miss on Lake Garda , this is a beautiful very big Lake,

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,178 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

They are really great destinations!

sophie8 is correct - Don't miss Lake Garda. There's so much to see and do, diverse, very recreational, easy spirit, lovely...

Vagabonda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Yes I am working on getting to Lake Garda and the east side of Italy next visit...

AH ITALIA

Niec

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,178 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Ciao Niec!

Hopefully you'll be able to visit the Valpolicella wine region, and the stunning Dolomites in addition to Lake Garda and Venice!

Best Regards,

Vagabonda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Ciao Vagabond

Yes you have it in a nut shell. I was tossing up this area last time, but I wanted to see CT so we came down through Zurich and Lago Como and onward to Rome. Missed Venice, the Alps that side, Lago Garda and perhaps may even come down through Austria next time.

Cheers

Niec

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
98,178 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference btwn Lugano & Menaggio

Italy’s northeastern corner is especially beautiful and pristine! The jagged peaks of the Dolomites are breathtaking, and a cool respite in summer’s heat.

This area is easily reached from the airports in Munich and Innsbruck, as well as Verona and Venice.

It’s also a reasonably priced region with cute villages, alpine architecture, and efficient public transport.

Best Wishes!

Vagabonda