We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maiori public free beaches

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Maiori public free beaches

I have booked 10 days at the end of September to Maiori and am now really worried as have been informed that the beaches are private and expensive. Are there many public/free beaches? What are they like? How do you find them? I am staying at the Panorama.

Sorry but I have never been to Italy before and chose here as a base to visit Pompeii/Vesuvius/Capri etc.

Thanks in advance

UK
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maiori public free beaches

This link will give you some info on the free beach areas. Unfortunately because no one looks after the free areas they tend to be on the scruffy side.

positano.com/en/…beaches-of-maiori-and-minori

Edited: 6:00 pm, March 30, 2013
Wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Hello,

This is not the case, most of the beach is private, but the public is fine and clean, at the end of september, beginning of October the season is winding down and so more of the beach becomes public.

But don't worry, the hotel Panorama has its own section of beach, which unless different from 2011 is free to guests of the hotel.

I have stayed in the hotel Panorama, Maiori for the past 27 years for 2 weeks, apart from last year where we didn't go. But am returning in 3 weeks to plan my wedding their for next July.

Feel free to ask any questions, its a beautify place :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Hi might see you there then, reading your message I know can't wait. can';t be a bad place if you go back so much. we are there from 29th June. Is it easy to get about from Maiori ? Buses ok? and if we got a car for a few days is it easy to drive about ? Seems the hotel has a lovely resturant too? have you tried it? From your experience of the area what is the Best/most expensive restaurant to visit not too far to go to. thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maiori public free beaches

It often takes British visitors a while to see the benefits of paying at one of those beach stations - but try this, for an idea of the world you'd be entering....

telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/i…

Can't tell you what happens in Maiori, but by late September many of those here on Ischia have reduced their prices considerably - often "throwing in" the cost of sunbeds etc if you also have lunch there!

Whilst high time it was updated (so do cross-check any and all times, prices etc!), for more about places along both the Sorrento Peninsula and the Amalfi Coast, you may like the 170 page 'Travel Directory' to their resorts that can be downloaded using....

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

And if intending to do some daytrips away from base, it's very probably worth investing in a copy of....

amazon.co.uk/Naples-Pompeii-Amalfi-Country-R…

For the buses, get current timetables by using the links to be found at the foot of the page here...

http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/index.html

(with new 'autumn' versions taking effect on several routes from around September 11th, once the local schools have reopened!)

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Naples, Campania...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Have a look at this beach; it-s not in Maiori but I'm sure you'll be moving around a little while you're there. I live in Naples and this is one of my favourite places to go on my days off! The name is Marina di Praia and it's in the little town of Furore. There's also a great restaurant there called Armandino, so you could plan a whole day there, it's a small beach but has never been busy when i've been there and the whole beach is free.

Have fun!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Thanks, will go and find it.

Wales
Level Contributor
51 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Sorry for lack of reply. Work is crazy and trying to wrap up before the weekend.

Are you in the hotel Panorama from the 29th?

The most expensive restaurant in Maoir is the Torre normanna - www.torrenormanna.net/ and there are a number of Michelin stars up in Ravello. But to be honest, we have eaten at a number of Stared resturants e.g. Le gavroche , Alain Ducasse and Hestin. But we don't bother on the amalfi coast, All the food is amazing and nothing beats a caprese salad on the Panorama terrace at lunch with the amazing views or pizza in la vella restaurant about 30m walk from the hotel full of Italians :) The past 27 years, the food has been excellent in the hotel. A few years I took my in-laws to be and they were very impressed. We are planning our wedding in Maiori for next year and so there is 8 of us this year and all will eat in the hotel with the odd meal out for the atmosphere.

Speaking to a friend, there is a new Sea water Lido at the end of the beach, not sure if this is public or private. But may be worth investigating.

I will have my mobile on me while away, so will be able to answer any questions while there and offer more accurate info as it changes year to year.

@12Lesley are you looking for somewhere special to eat? I have a really special place I can recommend and If your in the Panorama it will make it easier. We have lunch arranged there on the 30th

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Hi there,

yeah we (myself & husband Stephen) arrive on the 29th. Staying in the Panorama. Would love a special place to eat ? We love trrying new restaurants, what our holiday is all about, and like yourself we have tried some of the more expensive ones in London and not always found them that good. I have seen Torre normanna mentioned when I have been having a look on line. If you have the time before end next week please advise of that place and I am sure we will make the effort to go. So looking forward to it now - when I first read about Maiori it sounded as though it was a very quiet place with not much to do (not that I want clubs etc.. too old) but reading peoples reports am sure it will be an ideal base to tour AMALFI.

Thanks for being so helpful, and if you are in Panorama too , may catch up for a natter.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Thank you everyone for your very useful replies - I am very excited about coming to Maiori and also know that I can get my dip in the sea before and after exploring without having to hire sunbeds for the day (sunbathing is not really my thing, especially as the other half is a redhead!). Fingers crossed for the weather to hold as I fly out on 27th September.

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maiori public free beaches

Hotel panorama beach is €16-22 a person... As of September 1 2013. But if look around you can find a better deal

Edited: 12:11 pm, September 01, 2013