We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

individual VS group ski lessons?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
individual VS group ski lessons?

My husband and I and our 3 teenage sons (18, 16 &13) are travelling to Livigno for a week over christmas for our first ever ski holiday/experience. Since we have never skied before, i am not too sure whether to book private or group ski lessons? Private lessons are given by one teacher for 4 days either from 9-11 or from 13-15. Group lessons are offered from Sunday to Friday from 11-13. I have also read that a buying a full adult ski pass for complete beginners is not often necessary, as it might be a while before we get to use the lifts?

I wonder if anyone might be able to offer me any advice?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: individual VS group ski lessons?

I think if there's 5 of you then a private teacher would be your best option as you should learn quicker but there's also the plus side of getting group lessons as you interact with other people and friendships can be made, especially with kids.

You'll hit the nursery slopes from day one so you could buy points for that day but I expect you'll want to practise yourselves after the lesson so maybe the skipass would be a better option. If you're going during the Christmas period and not New Year then theres a 10%discount for families, the kids have to be born between 1998 and 2005 and even although your 18 year old won't qualify the other 2 might if your other 16 year old was born in 1998.

UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: individual VS group ski lessons?

Hi, We've been to Livigno many times before and the ski school by Campo Scuola is the place to head for to book yourselves in either way. We've done both and have two sons now aged 18 and 15. The advantages of a wider group are as you say that they will get to mix with others of a similar age and the times of lessons are mid morning. Instructors fit in their private lessons around the ski schools so you may be looking at 9am to 10 or early afternoon or right at the end of the day. You'd be lucky to get the same time each day though you should get the same instructor. To a certain degree it will depend on how equal your fitness is too.

As to the advantages or not of taking a full lift pass from the start, Livigno does have some easy blue runs right at the top on both side which whilst you may not have lessons there you might want to visit. Also you get the view and on both sides you can travel up and back by gondola if you can't ski back. Given the economies of scale on the lift passes it may only be marginally more to take the full pass for the whole holiday than just a few days. We are going there from 28 Dec - 4 Jan this year - if your sons fancied catching up with others of a similar age then that would be great. Do get in touch.

Another small thing, your 13 year old will need a helmet (casco) but the others not by law by choice only. Livigno is a fantastic place as with the comprehensive bus routes and long operating hours it's easy to get about. If you've got small walkie talkies bring them as they work well to keep in touch if people want to ski in different areas. Best wishes

3. Re: individual VS group ski lessons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Livigno