We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitable for beginner

Dunblane, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Suitable for beginner

We are considering booking a ski holiday in Livingno next year. How difficult are the runs higher up? I am just a beginner but plan to get lessons at our local dry ski slope during the year. The reason I am asking is that I want to be able to ski the higher runs rather than just the easier ones near the town and wanted to know how difficult these higher up ones are.

Harrow
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitable for beginner

Hi Laura - Livigno is perfect for you - on the Mottolino side you can ski from the very top - all the way to the bottom on a blue run - likewise on the costaccia side.

Saying that - many of the red runs are very wide - so you'll be able to take it slowly down those runs aswell once you build up your confidence

You'll find doing ski lessons for the week in Livigno you are likely to be skiing the reds with your group towards the end of the week anyway

we've been many many times - our kids have learnt to ski in Livigno - but even though we are all confident skiers now - we keep going back because we love Livigno - it's a beautiful place

any other questions just post - lots of great advice on here

Angelax

Dublin
Level Contributor
477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitable for beginner

Livigno is not a difficult resort to ski and is absolutely perfect for beginners. As aalz said Mottolino is perfect as the red runs are quite wide as are some of the black runs on that side also. Carosello is a little more difficult but not much. You are dong the right thing in taking lessons at your dry slope. Dry slopes are great for sorting out your imperfections and improving your confidence, you will learn more there than you ever will on a holiday. If you feel you need a lesson when you get out my advice would be to take a private lesson with an instructor. After 3 ski holidays in Livigno I took lessons at my local dry slope and have never looked back! it was a different holiday after that and with improved confidence and technique felt I could ski any slope in the resort!.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitable for beginner

Don't go straight to the top as it can be very daunting the first time start with the beginner slopes the first day to find your feet.

Dunblane, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitable for beginner

Thanks for the info. We have now booked our flights and are looking for an apartment. Roll on nex February.

Any info on apartments or ski hire would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dunblane, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitable for beginner

We have now been offered what looks like a lovely apartment in the palipert area. Is this far out of town? Too far? There looks like there is a lift close by, can we access more lifts from this one? We don't mind being a bit out of town as we are on a budget and realise that we can't have everything, but do you think staying in this area will be an issue for us? We have 3 boys but they are between age 10-15. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dublin
Level Contributor
477 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitable for beginner

Palipert is at the very far end of the town and the ski lift is a button lift so wont take you anywhere other than the top of that particular run which is on a beginners slope. The only issue with staying down that far is you will have to get a bus in the morning either to ski school if you or you're boys are taking lessons or to the carosello or mottolino if you want to ski that side. It is early yet and although you are going in Feb - presume half term there should be a good choice of accomodation either further down San Rocco or in the centre of town - some people on this forum have stayed near mottolino and found that very convenient. Palipert would not be that convenient to restaurants or bars at night either you would have to use taxi's or buses. From Memory the last bus is approx 7pm - you could get the bus when you are going out and taxi back - but at €8 minimum fare that could mount up over the week.

Okehampton...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitable for beginner

I agree with above post. Try finding an appartment in San Rocco area. Walkable to town and much more central.

Dunblane, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitable for beginner

Many thanks for all your advice...we have also seen an apartment located between lifts 29 and 30? Would this be a good location for us?

Harrow
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitable for beginner

Hi laura - definitely better than the other area - out of town

Lots of people on this forum love the San Rocco area (we used to stay that area of town pre kids) - but personally I prefer this area - we've stayed opposite lift 29 quite afew times - it's where we hope to be staying in Feb HT next year (when the apartment I've chosen gets back to me!!)

Lots of lovely restuarants inlcuding cheap pizza restaurants for take away or to eat in - supermarkets close by - shops - and the ski bus stops there - so easy to get to the carosella & mottolino

My kids learnt at central ski school - lift 23 - which was fab - but there is also a ski school at lift 29 which looks good too

If you are going through Livigno eu for apartments - many don't get back to you until this season has finished so there isn't a great hurry on accomodation (although you may be like me and like it all booked up asap)

Angelax

Dunblane, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitable for beginner

Many thanks for your advice Angela, this area sounds perfect.

Our only concern is that the apartment owner doesn't want a deposit. We have rented villas privately many times in Europe and have always been asked for a deposit and sometimes asked to sign a contract.

Can anyone tell me if we should be worried about this or is this common practice in livigno? We just don't want to turn up and have no accommodation! Shame as this apartment was perfect for us.

Get answers to your questions about Livigno