We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

malta
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

First time driving in the snow, all geared up ok, but a bit worried because our flight departs Milan Linate airport at 11am. So that means we have to start our trip from Livigno as early at 5:00am? How safe is this? Will the roads be cleared from the snow that early, if it has snowed during the previous night?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

It will be safe because there won't be other traffic, if it snows the evening before have a garage put your chains on, don't travel without chains.

malta
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

Thanks, one more thing is there a chance of traffic on the roads, as we get closer to Milan, since it is Monday morning 8:00-9:00 am?

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

I've done this in the past and I'm doing this again in a few weeks time. Should be fine as the other poster says there will be very little traffic. Just take it slow and steady. If its snowy don't forget your chains! Have fun!

T

Leeds
Level Contributor
324 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

Check the weather and see whats due, if your getting a hire car good chance it will be a diesel, if the temp drops which it can overnight, the fuel could freeze even though you might have filled up on arrival in Livigno so that you have Diesel with the additive, this can still happen, we we're out a few Febs back and it dropped to -37 the fuel was solid but we had later flights and local friends who helped with hot air blowers to get them started, so we still made our flight, but if your setting off very early no-one will be about. See if you can park inside somewhere the night before , there's a new underground carpark at lift 30 Cassana.

Use the car or at least keep turning it over and get as much additive fuel in as you can.

Check for snow and temperature the day before you set off, fit snow chains in daylight if needed. If you have a cold night in the first few days go to the car when you get up see if it starts all cars are different.

Hope this helps

MOT

Articwarrior ( cold weather Livigno veteran )

Edited: 8:28 am, January 22, 2012
London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
605 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

I would always allow plenty of time for any hiccups, road conditions, delays at the customs post, rush hour traffic.... on your last morning you dont want to miss your flight as I have known some folks to do..... you will be fine, just make sure that you know how to fit your chains, and that they are the right size! I never hire now, but buy them at the Iperal supermarket en route. If I dont use them then I sell them on return to the UK!

AW is right, ensure you are filled up with fuel on arrival and if poss park underground.

Enjoy

HTN

malta
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

Great tips and help, thanks to all. Since we are restricted with time, on viamichelin i was shown a route through St.Moritz which is shorter than the one through Bormio. Which route do you suggest?

Beside, I read that strada SS301 coming through the swiss side might be closed periodically. Is this true? In that case i will definitely take the Bormio route. But if there is somewhere I can check about the SS301, going to the swiss side, since it is shorter, I'd rather choose the shorter route.

Zuoz, Switzerland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

Going to St Moritz is not really shorter, you have to do all the Engadina and then the Maloia Pass, you will be in Colico and then Lecco and Milano. Better go the other way, Livigno, Passo d'Eira, Foscagno Bormio down to Colico.

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
Level Contributor
605 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

IT WILL BE CLOSED! The route you need, is Trepalle, Bormio, Tirano, Sondrio and then down by the side of lake Como to whichever Milan airport you need. Do not trust the Satnav, as that may direct you via roads and passes that are closed during the winter months.

malta
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

I'll take your advice. Thanks.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Livigno to Milan in the early hours of the morn

Hey HTN, which supermarket is the Iperal supermarket? Is this the one with the McDonald's in it? I've had loads of problems with hire chains in the past.....

T

Get answers to your questions about Livigno