We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the snow?

West Malling...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the snow?

Been going to Livigno for the last 8 years and booked now for 17th-24th December. Can't remember if the first snows were always this late plus the next few days look warm with clear blue skies. Am I worrying too much or are we skiing on grass this year?

Cheers

Jim

Livigno, Italy
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the snow?

It is still early for snow but it has been unusually warm in October/November - I've lived in Livigno for over 20 years and can only remember one year when there was no snow at Xmasn - and they didn't have artificial snow then!

Renjac

Mentioned in this post
Livigno
Livigno
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the snow?

If I remember correctly it snowed at the end of November last year which lasted the whole season as it didn't snow again so there's still time.

liverpool
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the snow?

wouldn't worry, once the cold comes (and it will) the snow will come too, pretty sure there will be the usually 10 -12 inches overnight dump in the next 3-4 weeks, so Renjac can dig herself out of her home! :-)

Nitra, Slovakia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the snow?

Jimmy, you won it with that 17-24 term. We have the bookings from 4th to 11th dec..and I'm starting to worry a little bit. 3 weeks to go, no snow.. it has to change quickly :/

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the snow?

Dont panic, Just read that the temperatures are now cold enough to turn on the snow making machines. The real stuff usually follows soon after :-) (Read this on Mottolino's Facebook page)

liverpool
Level Contributor
535 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the snow?

I don't really look at weather long term, but according to weather.com it looks like temps are going to drop considerably next week, doesn't it need to be -5 c for the artificial machines 2 be used, looking at the webcams they are on but much of it is disappearing.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the snow?

No, as long as it is -1° they will be able to prepare the pistes with artificial snow which I'm sure they're doing at the moment and it's still early to be worrying about the snow, but in any case it hasn't snowed anywhere at all and Livigno being at the altitude it is can produce the artificial snow that the other resorts cannot.

Mentioned in this post
Livigno
Livigno
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the snow?

Temp means nothing. I was down near Verbier at the weekend (La Tzoumaz - 1500m). Distinct lack of snow. Cold at night. Problem is it is a dry cold. Just no moisture in the air.

There was a shed full of snow in Austria in October with snow down to 1300m and place like Obergurgl (1700m) were blanketed as were the roads. Now bare - Obergurgl normally opens this weekend.

Drove over the Passo Giovo from Vipiteno to Merano end of October - snow at 1700m - over a foot at 2000m but going over the pass to the sunny side still cold but most gone.

Mentioned in this post
Verbier
Verbier
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Austria
Austria
Europe
Obergurgl
Obergurgl
Tirol, Austria
Vipiteno
Vipiteno
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Merano
Merano
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the snow?

hope there is as we are flying on the 12 th Dec

Vilnius, Lithuania
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the snow?

we are going to Livigno on 26th November, we are worried too..

Get answers to your questions about Livigno