We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Which Lerici hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Hi,

We were planning to go to the area close to Cinque Terre: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere for 3 days. And I have a questions: is it worth going there outsite summer period, lets say May, when the weather is quite warm but the sea is still cold to swim? Because as far as I know these cities are mostly famous for their beaches.. Is there anything else to do there (exluding the museums:) some more opendoors activities? Is it interesting to walk around the cities or are there some parks or these places are too small for this? Thank you, Varvara.

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Absolutely. Portovenere I wouldn't say is famous for it's beaches, nor La Spezia...the weather is great in May and though the water might be a little chilly, it might be what you are looking for after a day in the sun. La Spezia is a city, and a big one - not a charming seaside village. Portovenere doesn't have a beach, but is gorgeous, with it's castle and chapel overlooking the sea. Lerici is a great beach town, charming, and usually full of only Italian tourists...it's interesting to do PV and Lerici, but as for La Spezia, I think a day to half a day will suffice there...

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Thanks a lot for the the quick and very valuable reply:)

So La Spezia is more an undustrial city? Does it have a nice city center? If we stop there just for couple of hours, what area should we visit?

Donegal Town...
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

May I give you my opinion?

Dont' stop in La Spezia (if not for shopping), you will waste your time; if you want you can visit places like Tellaro

www.borghitalia.it/html/borgo_en.php…

or Palmaria Island

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmaria_%28island%29

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,152 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Both Lerici is a lovely Town not too commercial, Prtovenere is such a pretty place , not known for beaches, as said La Spezia is best as a transit point,

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Thank you for the details!

I was also considering going to Palmaria Island, is there a ferry which brings from PortoVenere?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

La Spezia is more of a post industrial City rather than a current one. It has a very good pedestrianised city centre from the train station to the tourist port at Passiagata Morin with good shopping, restaurants, bars and a number of museums, Public Gardens plus the castle of San Giorgio . It has a newly completed Marina at Porto Mirabello where there are more shops bars and restaurants as well as a number of Super Yachts including Giorgio Armanis Main and which will be connected to the seafront at Passiagata Morin where the boats leave for Portevenere by the end of this month following the completion of the new bridge at a cost of 5m euro

Edited: 8:29 am, May 02, 2013
La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

There is a water taxi crossing to Palmaria from Portovenere although should you wish to dine at Locanda Lorena they have a couple of Rivas that pick you up and take you back

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Is 1 day enough for PortoVenere with all the walking around the whole area and visiting thePalmaria?

Edited: 9:25 am, May 02, 2013
La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

I would say so, Portovenere is beautiful but small. A walk up to San pietro , Byrons Grotto and San Lorenzo and the Castle may be all done in half a day. Although I also like Le Grazie which is on the road in to Portovenere so it depends on how much of a rush you are in whether you want to dine their etc

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lerici, La Spezia, PortoVenere

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

Get answers to your questions about Lerici