We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
123 reviews
46 helpful votes
Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

We are considering flying into Rome (FCO) and plan to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo. What is the best way for us to travel - car, bus, train?

Italy
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

Renting a car in Rome is definitely the best solution. Otherwise you'll have to catch a bus from Rome to Sulmona and then look for a connection from there to Pescocostanzo - it won't be easy though. Driving in there is pretty easy and you won't find any traffic along the way.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
123 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

Thank you. It's possible someone can pick us up in Sulmona, do you still think driving is an easier solution? From my online research, it looks like we would have to find transportation from the airport to the bus terminal and then get a bus. If we were to take a bus, which line? I'm having trouble finding a website for bus lines. I greatly appreciate your help.

Italy
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

You're welcome MelG. Yes, of course it's possible to get there by bus, but it will take much longer. From Tiburtina bus terminal in Rome there are daily coaches to Sulmona; however the buses leaving from Sulmona to Pescocostanzo are just a few and the journey lasts 1h30 while Pescocostanzo it's just 36 Km away (this is because you have to change in Roccaraso). This is the website of Arpa, the bus company serving both Sulmona and Pescocostanzo: http://www.arpaonline.it/arpaonline/it/ (unfortunately the website is in Italian only).

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
123 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

Thank you very much. Taking a car sounds like a better choice for us, since we can travel at our own rate and enjoy the beautiful scenery and towns along the way. So, we are flying into Fiumicino and will travel by car to Pescocostanzo and then we'll drive back to central Rome for the remainder of our vacation and then fly out of Fiumicino. We do not need nor want a car in Rome. In looking at Hertz rentals, I'm questioning if we should take a train from Fiumicino to Termini and get the rental car there. That way, when we return to Rome after visiting Pescocostanzo, we don't have to go all the way back to the airport. Or, do you think it's not that big of a deal to get and return a car to the airport area? I really appreciate all of your insights.

Italy
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

I think the best option would be renting the car at Fiumicino airport and then return it to one of the Hertz rental agencies in central Rome - if I remember well all rental companies allow you to get and return the car to different places. I hope this helps!

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
17 posts
123 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

Grazie!! Again, I appreciate your insights and advice.

7. Re: Best way to travel from Rome to Pescocostanzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 21, 2015