We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome - L`Aquila

Denmark
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
3 helpful votes
Rome - L`Aquila

We are traveling each year to an Italian region. Stay in one place - and take the train and bus from there. We are over 70. We do not want to rent a car. We would like to go to L`Aquila or Teramo, but from Copenhagen there are only flights to Rome. We are retired, without money, so I would like to know how we can get from Rome to one of the two cities.. I have seen a bus: Gruppo Baltour, but I can not find out if there is an option or there are other ways to go. The train ride takes a long time. We leave from home to the airport before 6 in the morning and are in Rome at 12.30 - so we do not wish to use 5-6 hours of transport- The journey is only June next year. 14 days.Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Central, Indiana
Level Contributor
541 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

I find the website Rome2Rio helpful in laying out the various transporation options to get to/from two points.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Rome/L-Aquila

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Rome/Teramo

To get to either town by bus, you will have to make your way to Rome's Tiburtina station and that you'd probably have to take a 16:30 bus--which does make for a long day.

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
414 posts
122 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

Hello. The fastest and cheapest option would be to take a bus directly from the airport to either Teramo or L'Aquila. Both Flixbus and Gaspari operate this route on a daily basis, although Gaspari operate a more extensive timetable.

Given the option between the 2 places, I'd opt for Teramo for the following reasons.

1. The bus stop in L'Aquila is not in the city centre and would require you taking a taxi. The stop in Teramo is much more central

2. L'Aquila is still very badly damaged from the 2009 earthquake and whilst a lot of work has been done ( we were there this week), it's not a place to stay for any length of time on holiday.

3. Teramo has lots of restaurants and places of interest to visit and has very good bus and train links to the coast, which you'll need as you will not have a car.

Here is the link for Gaspari https://www.gasparionline.it/en/

If we can help you any further, please feel free to write again.

Denmark
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

Thank you very much for the answer,

I can understand, that it will be better standing in Teramo. So now I will try to find out some more about the town and surrounding. But I have a new question. We go first by train in Denmark - the Metro - and then we fly to Roma - Fiumicino - where can we find the bus ? - and because we cannot know exactly the time of landing, I want to know, if I can buy the ticket in the bus - or it is really necessary to book the ticket in advance via the internet. I can not know what we can reach. The last time we went to Spoleto, from the airport, the luggage was very long to come forward as there was a hatch in the plane that was stuck. We are more than 70 and eish to have time enough - without to run !! The Kind regards Kirsten

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
414 posts
122 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

Hello Kirsten. You can purchase your tickets on the bus, so no problem there. The buses arrive and depart directly outside of Terminal 3. The timetables can be found on the website links in my previous post.

There are some very nice accommodation in Teramo, but also some not so nice, so be very careful with your choice

Denmark
Level Contributor
21 posts
58 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

Buonasera - Thank you very much for the answer.

I should like to get some informations about the flixbus. I cannot find, if it is going from the aeroporto - or from a station. My husband wish very much to go without to change transport . I can easily see that the Gasparionline goes direct. We can stay 12-14 days in Teramo, and go by bus and train.

We are very much interested in all the old churches, Italian painters, art and frescoes, archaeology, palazzo, mosaics, and the nature, flowers and birds, so maybe you can tell us some places to visit? - outside the town ?

Thank you for all the help-. Kind regards Kirsten

Teramo
Destination Expert
for Abruzzo
Level Contributor
414 posts
122 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Rome - L`Aquila

Buongiorno. The Flixbus is also direct from the airport to Teramo, although the timetables and prices are not available yet for 2019. Here is the current timetable https://shop.flixbus.dk/search?departureCity=23691&arrivalCity=8838&route=Rom-Fiumicino+Lufthavn-Teramo&rideDate=04.10.2018&adult=1&currency=DKK&backRideDate=07.10.2018

Teramo is a Roman town and has a very long history. There are many old and beautiful churches in and around the town, the duomo, archaelogical sites, museums and much more. Being just on the edge of the national park of the Gran Sasso, the beauty of the mountains and the villages within are very close, but public transport is not extensive, so it might be an idea to see what arranged excursions there are from your hotel or bed & breakfast. In June, the nature is breathtaking.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask or contact us directly

Reply to: Rome - L`Aquila
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted