We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit Advice Needed Please

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit Advice Needed Please

We are staying at the Grand Hotel Gardone for a week in early May and with information of TA are fine with attractions in Gardone Riviera but could do with some additional help regarding chosing which other towns to visit arround the Lake. I have clicked on the links to the Spring Ferry Schedules but am still confused over which ferries, or fast ferries, which type of ticket & time it takes to get to places:- We definately want to go to Malcesine/Monte Baldo cable car but are undecided on where else

Possibly Garda or Salo and possibly Sirmione or Limone (or are they too far?)

We enjoy scenery, great views, wandering round 'old towns' authentic piazzas, and photo opportunities. Any more detailed help much appreciated

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

On the ferry timetable the first thing to do is forget about anything with an A in the box at the top of each column, unless you want to travel on Sundays. The fast ferries are marked in red, as you will see there are not many. As an example, there is a fast ferry from Gardone at 10.20 arriving Malcesine at 10.56 or a slow ferry leaving at 11.42 arriving at 13.14. Gardone to Malcesine is tariff 5, the fast ferry would cost 16.60 euros and the ordinary ferry 12 euros for one person, each way.

There is also 'free circulation ticket', valid for one day for either the whole lake, the lower lake or the upper lake.

The new fare table is now available:

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/TARIFFE%20PDF…

For visiting Salo, Limone or Riva you could use the bus which would be considerably cheaper but may take a little longer.

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN027.pdf

As for scenery, great views etc, you will find these wherever you go.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
501 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Thanks very much makes sense now

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

That's okay, it is quite confusing on first glance. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Hi, You could quite easily visit both Garda and Bardolino in one day if you set off pretty early - or perhaps Garda and Lazise (trying to squeeze 3 towns into one day can be pushing it..)

We stayed in Gardone the first time we visited the lake (at The Grand - lovely!) and during our 10-day stay, we went to Limone and Malcesine on one day, Garda and Bardolino on another and Salo another day - all by boat. We also did an organised trip to Verona.

We were unlucky the day we took a bus to Desenzano - the lakefront was swamped by market stalls and we waited over an hour for a return bus.. we've only used the boats since then - more expensive for sure, but so relaxing!

Have a great time!!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Riva is worth a visit

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Can I hop in here and ask about the FREE circulation tickets. We will be on the lake late September. Does this apply then and I can't believe it is free to ply the lake...any catch? I did know that we could buy a hop on and off ticket once we arrived by bus into Malcesine for the top end but hadn't come across FREE tickets. So is that a once of...eg can only do part of the lake one day and then not part of the lake another day and both be FREE or is it a charge for a crossing but adding in the other villages.

Thanks

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Niec - the name of the ticket is a Free-Circulation Ticket, meaning you can travel as much as you want within the limitations of the ticket i.e.whole lake, upper lake or lower lake. Unfortunately it doesn't mean the cost is free!

navigazionelaghi.it/g_download/TARIFFE%20PDF…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Thanks for that as I thought I was seeing things...Have been on Lake Como and also had centro lago fares to hop on and off. Should have known it would be the same but did not hear of free circulation tickets then. Thanks for the fares link very handy.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

Hi

I agree with the person who says use the boats instead of the bus. The ferries up and down the lake are a lovely way to travel and disembark where you want. We stayed in Salo a couple of years ago having booked the Grand Gardone at first but had to change as there had been a mishap at the Grand. Glad we did as Salo is a lovely town and better than Gardone. It has a good ferry pick up and ticket office in the piazza. So boats it is.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit Advice Needed Please

The OP is excited about her first visit to the lake in May.

So it's a little unkind to make negative remarks about her choice of resort and hotel..

Get answers to your questions about Gardone Riviera